usgpru27

Jan 15, 2005
Hey everyone. I need some help from the experts. I got an 01 CR125 over the winter. I have been riding a bit at Paragon (see you all next weekend :laugh: ) and continue to have issues with my bike. When under load at the lower end of the rpm range (very slow techincal or when you hit a puddle and it is actually a small lake) and you lay on the gas it just totally boggs. A little clutch gets it going but sometimes it is really tough to deal with. Have crashed a few times going real slow. I do well with jetting and have checked the plug. Looks just a touch rich. Dry and on the darker side of brown. I have tried many combinations to resolve. The following is my set up that almost eliminates the issue but it is still there and always crops up when I really dont need it to. I have tried leaner settings and it gets worse. I know it is a touch rich as the pipe is wet. Not horrible but dripping down about 3" from the spout. I do not motocross and only trail ride.

Temp 80 deg. 60%humidity
C-12 at 40:1 Belray Syn.
Stock Pipe with FMF Turbine Core Q (same result with Bills Pipe. Went back to stock to help figure things out.)
Boysen Power reeds in stock cage
360 main
Stock T0 nozzle
69 needle on 3rd clip
40 pilot
2 turns on air screw

I am drawing the concusion that the Power Reeds are not the right choice. Are they just for RAD valves? While I totally understand that a 2 stroke has no low end, and the 01 CR being one of the worst, I am really just looking for responce with no flat spots.

Any and all Suggestions are GREATLY appriciated. Will purchase anything suggested.

Mike_socal

Oct 1, 2003
I just put the boyesen power reeds in my 01 CR250 and I noticed a low end improvement right off the bat. Even right off idle it's snappier.

usgpru27

Jan 15, 2005
I am really a dumb ass... I have PRO REEDS not Power Reeds. I am thinking the power ones may be the solution.. Sorry for the error. This thing has got me crazy.. Going to Paragon tomorrow to screw with it more..

Uchytil

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 29, 2003
I have a 01 CR125 and had the exact problems when I bought the bike new. I installed power reeds and improved the bottom end which got rid of the bogging off idle. I lost a little on top though.

bikepilot

Nov 12, 2004
There are pro-reeds offered for the stock reed cage. They are typically a little stiffer than oem reeds, which improves top and hurts response at the botom. The power reeds are a two part design that usually makes a noticable difference in botom end response.

Its not that 2-strokes don't have much bottom end power, CC for CC they have much more than a 4-stroke. Its just that you have a small bore 2-stroke that is tuned for top end.

Lastly, when at low rpm, don't open the throttle really quickly or open it all the way. slowly roll it open to keep the air velocity up. Also, on a small bore MX bike, I'v found it good to ride with a finger on the clutch so you can make use of it. These bikes were not made to have a lot of low rpm roll on power, use the clutch and trans to keep them singing and it will provide all the power to the ground you might want.

good luck

usgpru27

Jan 15, 2005
Guys thanks for the resonces. I went to Paragon today and it was quite a battle. I started with the same set up as noted above. It was HOT and HUMID. Started riding and it was WAY WAY rich. Blubbering real bad. Fouled a plug. Put in a new one.. started it and warmed it up and shut it off to put on my gear.. Wouldnt start. Fouled. The guy I was with had a BR8 one hotter.. Put it in (gear on and got back to the truck. I then dropped the needle to #2, put in a 35 pilot, and opened the air screw. It ran better. Then the huge rain came and after we went out again. Much cooler. Ran strong on the pipe but still blubbery on the bottom.

I think I need to get the power reeds and take out the Pro ones.. Have a new cylinder that I was looking to put on and she could use a top end. Could the power valve be doing this??

Fortyplus, What is your current set up and mods if you have time.. Looking for a baseline. I understand that all engines are differant but it would help.

Thanks much guys for the help... !!!

bikepilot

Nov 12, 2004
I would get the jetting sorted out before changing reeds, it will make a much bigger difference. Sounds like you are still a bit rich - don't forget about the main jet too:)

If the pv is not closing all the way it would certainly ruin what little botom end you have.

The PV actuator linkage broke on my YZ125 during a harescramble race and the pv stuck open. It had so little low-mid power that it would not accelerate at all unless the motor was screaming. Just to take off from a stop I had to rev it super high and used the clutch to keep the motor screaming the whole race.

good luck

Top Bottom