'01 RM 250 shiftimg ( attn RM guy)

brentl

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 19, 2002
I seem to miss the 3rd to 4th shift a little too often.

I do not want to mess up my gears ...don't think I have yet.

If I make a definite movement and let off the throttle and hold the lever up for an extra sec , it is always OK.

If I tap the lever it will shift and hold the next gear for almost 2 seconds(long enough to believe you have shifted) and then jump out of gear....very disturbing.

My question....Is this an RM quirk? Is there a mod to cure this ?

Am I just unlucky and need new gears(hopefully new ones do not do this)

The bike is not "well worn" maybe 50 hours on it.

RM_guy

Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 21, 2000
North East USA
I haven't seen that particular problem. It sounds like the shifting forks are worn (probably not with only 50 hours) or bent. Has it done it since it was new?

Some bikes shift hard because the tolerances on the gears and forks are such that you have to shift with a deliberate action. The pro mechanics will polish all the parts in the tranny to make sure they slide properly. I haven't torn into a tranny in quite a while now so maybe someone else will chime in with ideas.

jmics19067

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 22, 2002
I have seen a problem with 1988era rms but it was usually 2nd to 3rd that went bad first. The "problem " then was the engagement dogs on the gears had little to no undercut for nice and easy shifting but they would round off to a point that was worn a lot quicker then the other bikes I have messed with. 2nd -3rd are usually the most abused gears ie start off in 2nd and bang 3rd for the holeshot in a race.

Since the bike has relatively low hours on it it might be a bad fork or chipped engagement dog from something like landing a jump with your foot on the shifter or just as simple as the gear oil you use isn't right or changed enough. If you use a thicker oil for the gear box it can keep the gears from quickly engaging< read that doesn't fully engage> try a thinner oil and see if that helps with the notchiness.

brentl

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 19, 2002
I bought this bike (from a shop) used and looking "like new". However somehow the squid owner stuck and shattered the piston.

Had it all apart the tranny looked perfect all other parts too. Runs perfect....
maybe I'm just not used to it.

I've got a Maico for instance that I've had for .....well since '77....never,never jumped out of a gear , shift at WOT anything. I begin to think I need more deliberate action.

atc3434`

~SPONSOR~
Nov 1, 2001
I do that to myself all the time on my YZ... I know its my action. Bad ankles, I'll always have bad action. But think about making your movements. Give it a little focus, and you'll usually shift better. Works for me anyways.

Top Bottom