KTM250RDR

Mar 27, 2002
I have found a 01 TM 250 MX for a good price. Bike has low miles and is in great shape. I plan on using the bike for Hare Scrambles and Enduros. Will this be a good choice? Can I get a tall seat as I am 6'4"? Who does revalves on the Paioli forks? Will an enduro TM tank bolt on? Any good dealers you can recommend? How do they handle? How do they compare to KTM's in the handling department?
Thanks

TM-Frank

Dec 15, 2000
KTM250RDR said:
...Can I get a tall seat as I am 6'4"?...

I made my one tall seat because the only one I found wasn't available at that time. There is someone who makes them but I don't know which company that is.

KTM250RDR said:
...Who does revalves on the Paioli forks?....

The inverted Paiolis are Kayaba copies (Paioli is owned by Kayaba). Nearly the same stuff as on any Yamaha, so nothing special.

KTM250RDR said:
...Will an enduro TM tank bolt on?...

Yes, there is a transparent 9 Liter Tank available and a transparent 14 Liter Tank. The large one gives a little trouble because it narrows the steering angle.

KTM250RDR said:
....How do they handle? How do they compare to KTM's in the handling department? ...

More stable than a KTM and with no headshake. Better suspension.

Camstyn

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 3, 1999
Order the tall seat foam and a seat cover for a '94-98 KX250 and it will fit perfectly on the stock TM seat base.

The USD Paiolis were not affiliated with Kayaba until the 2002 models came out, although with TM it's possible that you got the new forks if that bike was built late in the year. Factory Connection comes to mind when I think of the older Paioli forks.

For handling I find that the TM turns much better than the KTM, the front end feels more planted and the bike doesn't really have a "euro" feel to it.

Fastway makes Lowboy pegs for the TM, which will help you since you are 6'4. I am 6'5 and thought they were a better buy than even the tall seat.

Henk

Apr 15, 2000
I've got an 02 TM 250. Stunning bike. Has the ohlins forks but there is nothing wrong with the Paolis. Rode a mates 01 with the Paoli USDs and I ordered mine 2 weeks later. Handling is as far from a euro feel as you can get. Mine turns tighter than a KDX, much better in the tight than my 02 400exc, you might want to fit a damper if you are doing lots of high speed work. I found mine a bit nervous on gravel at speeds over 75 km/h before I fitted the damper. The friend whos 01 I rode prefered his 01 to the 02 he had after it. My 02 has a flywheel weight but the 01 motor had a bit more bottom end anyway. My bike also has over 250 hours on it and is still going strong. If the price is right buy it, they are stunning bikes and you'll love it for HS and enduros, .

KTM250RDR

Mar 27, 2002
250mx

Thanks for the info guys. I did buy the bike. I need a spark arrestor. Any one know where I can get one? I could also use an Enduro tank if anyone has one.
Thanks

Top Bottom