'01 YZ 125... No clutch cable = Not starting??

yz125_racer

Jan 8, 2007
Hey guys, just recently i took my '01 YZ 125 out for a spin at my local track, and not long after riding i did a clutch cable. After completely snapping it from the lever to the cable, i couldn't do much but push start it so i ride the bike on to flat ground again.

After getting it home, i tried to start it in neutral- but after about 8-9 kicks, i realised it just wouldn't start- which is concerning, as it usually starts first kick. I pulled the spark plug out, (expecting a fouled plug), however it was fine with plenty of spark. I cleaned it, put it back in, tried again... but all to no avail. :(

I've been given suggestions by a few posters on this site (thanks heaps guys, appreciate it), but the bike still isn't starting. I'm stuck for ideas, so if there's some experienced 2-stroke riders who may have had this issue- it would be awesome to hear your words of wisdom. Cheers guys. :cool:

rushy08

Jul 17, 2006
other than what i told you yesterday, get the cable on and try with it engaged(can't see how that would work but worth a try). If that doesnt work check out the top end.

Cutlass372

Dec 23, 2004
Put a new clutch cable on it first of all... Why even try to start a bike with no clutch... Go through the basics.. Fuel,Spark,Compression,Air (intake).

Jan 3, 2007
Well why not start a bike without a clutch. So, you are saying if you broke off a clutch lever in the bush 20 miles form your truck you would not start your bike abd ride it to your truck. Your telling me you would push your bike.

Cutlass372

Dec 23, 2004
No where does it say that he needed to push the bike home... He said after I got it home i couldnt get it started... That scenario didnt come into play so its not really important, yet if you were stranded why would you not try and start it? I would suggest reading prior to posting... I would much rather push my bike then leave it somewhere.

76GMC1500

Uhhh...
Oct 19, 2006
If you get stranded without a clutch lever or cable and without a hill, you push start the bike by running next to it, jumping on to the bike, and clicking it into gear as your butt hits the seat. Kickstarting and dropping into gear is difficult and hard on the transmission.

Did you have to cruise the bike for a long distance without the clutch causing the engine to load up? My bike is as little weird for starting, sometimes. While cold, you have to kick it over gently with the choke on and no throttle. After about 3 gentle kicks, it starts. While hot, usually, I start with the throttle closed and as I kick, I open the throttle a little bit. The bike usually fires up on the 1st or 2nd kick. Sometimes, the bike just doesn't start. I usually have to kick it a couple of times gently with the throttle closed and it will pop. Once it pops, I go to the normal hot starting routine. I have found that tipping the bike sometimes helps it to start. I think your bike was just in one of those weird times where it doesn't want to start. If you would have changed your starting technique around a bit, it probably would have fired right up.

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom