rmrider45

Sep 8, 2008
hello again. just wondering when i start my 125 cold it fires up one kick. but after riding it and it gets hot it takes 3 kicks to start it.also the clutch dont slip but when puling out it grips allmost all the way out.when i take it apart what should i look for on the clutch plates . if there blue are they shot ?..i did try to adjust the cable and the same thing. thx again :ride: :ride: :ride:

helio lucas

~SPONSOR~
Jun 20, 2007
for inspecting the clutch you need the service manual for the proper measures of the plates. the most likely is that the outer basket of the clutch are notched and impeding the disks from separate.

2-Strokes 4-ever

~SPONSOR~
Feb 9, 2005
Missouri
Starting issue:
There's a few possibilities. I'd check your jetting... too rich?

Clutch:
Blued plates is a result of overheating. And you say it doesn't grab until the lever is almost all the way out? Make sure lever is adjusted with some slack in the cable, if it's tight your getting constant slippage (even slightly) which will cause overheating/blued plates. As mentioned, check the clutch basket for notching too. 125s require constant clutch attention/maintainance.

SZKIRM125

Jun 10, 2010
Over heating and get a manual to get the measurements of the plates and take calipers and measure each tab and the thickness. Check for groves in the clutch basket if there is major groves then replace the basket. Do that and get back to us.
Good Luck :)

rmrider45

Sep 8, 2008
2-Strokes 4-ever said:
Starting issue:
There's a few possibilities. I'd check your jetting... too rich?

Clutch:
Blued plates is a result of overheating. And you say it doesn't grab until the lever is almost all the way out? Make sure lever is adjusted with some slack in the cable, if it's tight your getting constant slippage (even slightly) which will cause overheating/blued plates. As mentioned, check the clutch basket for notching too. 125s require constant clutch attention/maintainance.

strange when its cold it fires up one kick but when it gets hot (rode for a while)it takes 3

ill try going 2 down on the main and 1 on the pilot

i just took the jets out and the main is a 460

and the pilot is a 27.5?
any ideas what i should change them too?or what some other 125 riders use? thx
iread a thread elsewhere>...why did the 04 bikes have mains like 390 and the 02-03 bikes have mains like 460? I know it is how it was but it seems like a big jump for a real similar power motor. Can't figure out why it took so much more fuel.

Last edited:

Chili

Lifetime Sponsor - Photog Moderator
Apr 9, 2002
I'd be careful dropping the main arbitrarily like that without any idea where you are at currently jetting wise (rich/lean). That 460 main is the stock main jet for that bike and we raced that bike for two seasons on a 460 main with absolutely no spooge and it was right on the edge of detonation to the point of needing extra octane or richer jetting to keep the piston together. 27.5 is exceptionally lean for the pilot also as the stock pilot is a 40, we ran a 35 pilot in that bike and bumped the clip up one notch on the needle and adjusted for weather from here.

My guess is the bike starts first kick cold with the choke and then is harder to start later when warm without the choke? If so I'm betting you are too lean on the pilot.

As far as the clutch do you have proper free play at the lever?

rmrider45

Sep 8, 2008
Chili said:
I'd be careful dropping the main arbitrarily like that without any idea where you are at currently jetting wise (rich/lean). That 460 main is the stock main jet for that bike and we raced that bike for two seasons on a 460 main with absolutely no spooge and it was right on the edge of detonation to the point of needing extra octane or richer jetting to keep the piston together. 27.5 is exceptionally lean for the pilot also as the stock pilot is a 40, we ran a 35 pilot in that bike and bumped the clip up one notch on the needle and adjusted for weather from here.

My guess is the bike starts first kick cold with the choke and then is harder to start later when warm without the choke? If so I'm betting you are too lean on the pilot.

As far as the clutch do you have proper free play at the lever?
atm with the jets that are in there
is plenty of spooge coming from the front and back of the pipe'
and on cold start up u need to clear it out by cracking the throttle

Top Bottom