tpiwb

Sep 24, 2006
Well...Here I am. I swore I wasn't going to post some horse beatin' stuff here but I have some issues and I'm not happy- at all! First off, as the title says, I ride an '01 YZ 250 that I just purchased from a friend of mine.

The first time I rode it I thought it was pretty quick but not what I thought a 250t should be....AT ALL! On loose dirt roads my buddies RM pulls away from me pretty good as well as a friends RMZ 250 (which is a 4 stroke for those who don't know). I know the 250 fours run in the 125 class etc. but he just walks away from my 250t w/o a problem. This pissed me off!

I've ridden open class for years- CR 500's, KX 500's, KLX 650's etc. So I thought maybe I expected a bit much and so on. Well the other day my clutch took a dump on me, so I rode my friends '02 YZ 125 and was immediatley PISSED! His bike nearly flipped over when I grabbed a handful of throttle, not only in first but second. His bike is box stock with low hours on it. I have to try to make my bike wheelie....so much so it is annoying!

Anyhow, sense my clutch crapped out I tore the bike down...top end and all. It has always started on the first kick so I didn't think piston/ring was a problem but I took a look anyhow and everything looks a-okay but I will replace anyhow. My plug DOES look like crap...it was new and is almost fouled looking. It has fouled a plug one time in my posession (2 weeks). So...I have the carb out and I am ready to re-jet it. I like doing one thing at a time and going from there- i.e. needle or main or slow, not all at one time like so many do. I know now it has to be down on power....way down!

Another thing- gearing is 14/51 (un-touched by me) is that alright for these things? I ride mostly harescrambles now and some fast trails. I am not a pro by any means but I ride ALOT and have been for nearly 20 years (just not 250's) I'm at a loss as of what direction to take. Is it gearing and jetting....I know it needs to be jetted for sure, but could the 14/51 be causing my lack of low end "hit"? I'd like to think not. Whats stock? Anyhow....I'm off to the garage to put my new clutch in. I'll be waiting for all the comments and suggestions before I order sprockets etc. Oh yeah....I'd like to keep the stock pipe/silencer just because I dunno....I feel most bikes have plenty of power if you can use it all. I just need to find it. Thank you all so much for any time you put into a reply.

-Brad

I live in Jax. FL I am maybe 20 ft. above sea level. Thanks again.

wornknobby

Feb 5, 2004
I would do some plug chops, and start jetting from there.
Then once the bike is running to a perfectly jetted carb, I would deal with the jeting. Play w/ a couple teeth in the rear, it will only make small differences, or if you want to go big try swapping out a front sprocket. This will be cheaper and a more effective "jump" if you will.

Once you do that let us know how it goes and we'll help you from there.

tpiwb

Sep 24, 2006
Thanks! Jetting appears to be stock. I'm not sure what stock is though. I'm only guessing because the carb shows no tell-tale signs of being tamperd with. It is at 48/178 with a N3CW on the third clip. I'll try a front sprocket and see...later on though. I want this thing spot on before I mess with the other issues. Thanks again!

tpiwb

Sep 24, 2006
Well...I leaned out the slow jet to a 45 and moved the needle to the second clip (it was in the thrid). It is so close to being spot on. The weather here sucks today so I can't do any tuning right now or it would be dialed in! I re-packed the silencer. It looked nasty when I took out the packing. I thought while I was waiting on parts, I would go ahead and eliminate that too. So a new clutch, re-jet and a re-packed silencer this thing moves out! I'm so happy now. Just the re-pack made a nice gain. I don't know what all....I'm thinking a combination of bad clutch, clogged up pipe etc. was casuing most of my lack or performance. It hauls the mail like it should now and I'm very content. Thanks for a GREAT forum dirtrider.net helped me out alot. I waded through tons of threads trying to spend my money right the first time. Thanks again, -Brad

loaner

Feb 6, 2006
I have the same bike. Should kick way more tail than what your seeing. I believe I'm actuall geared 14/52 but I have problem keeping up with the 450's in the desert. The tire comes up thru 4th easy. Just went thru the same on my bike on the tear down. Make sure to run a hone thru the cylinder when you change out the rings, or things could get worse. Make sure to clean out the power valve assembly! Good luck

tpiwb

Sep 24, 2006
Thanks Loaner. I just cleaned the PV last night. My girl and I are going riding this sunday, I am anxious to see what it's got. I don't know how much more tail kicking it will do, I weigh 250 lbs. ;) I'm just glad it's a whole lot faster than it was.

sparkysakitas

~SPONSOR~
Aug 31, 2005
your sprockets seem like they are geared for speed not snap
i use a 12/50 on my yz 125 and its plenty peppy esp on the low end where you do not usually see on a 125

you ever come over to brooksville and ride (croom)

Rcannon

~SPONSOR~
Nov 17, 2001
14/52 on a yz 250 gives great low end snap, but not a lot of top speed. You can easily run 14/48 on these bikes. Top sped should be 80+

rosscopeeko

Feb 25, 2005
one other thing you might want to check is your reeds. They are a relatively cheap replacement and i have seen them make a huge difference on bikes when they are worn.

tpiwb

Sep 24, 2006
Well I FINALLY got out yesterday. I have been just cruising up and down my neighborhood and blasting it through 2nd in an empty lot near the house. I'm VERY pleased with it. I got out in the open where I could really get onto it. After I got the new clutch adjusted and did a few chops to check the plug, I was off. It hauls now. I knew when I first took delivery of it, I thought it was kind of slow. Now that ALL the power is making it to the ground, I couldn't be happier. It pulls plenty hard for me as it is. I can stand it on the back wheel in third with nothing but power. It used to not wheelie in first, in grass (thats when I knew something was wrong). It's just totally differant now. I LOVE it. Hopefully it will make it through the cool season as it is. I don't ride much in the summer here, to hot. Thats when I'll tear it down and get into the motor...I plan on reeds then as well as a new top end, maybe a pipe and silencer too. We'll see. I'm going to enjoy it for now though.

As for Croom, I have not been there in years! I'd love to get back down there sometime soon. I work for Publix and weekends are sometimes hard to get off. After the holiday season I plan on making it down that way. Do they still let atv's in? My girlfriend just bought a little Honda TRX 250 so she can come play too. I'll look you up on here when I get a better idea of when I'll be making the trip, if thats cool. Thanks.

chevyss_98

Feb 26, 2006
you want SNAP, run with what i got on my CR250 with 185 psi comp, 10/52 sprockets, i will rape almost everything in accel (cept a 500 2-stroke), after you get the other stuff setup change em sprockets, itll make a BIG difference

cheers

sparkysakitas

~SPONSOR~
Aug 31, 2005
yeah its atv's and dirt bikes only
got to get a yearly sticker though run you about 45$ each and they will be good till end of june then you renew for 50$ a year riding has been great up there i go every weekend if i can and during the week after work sometimes so give me a shout when you are going to head over
sparky

Top Bottom