'01 YZ250 or '00 KTM 200EXC for play/trail?

Dabs Alot

Mar 20, 2006
Which of these 2 bikes would make a better trail/woods/play bike? Chadwich MO type of riding. I'm 40 years old, 170 pounds and currently a trials rider that has got the itch to go fast again! No racing, maybe poker runs, FUN is what I am looking for.

I have the chance to buy either in the $2k price range,both stock, both very good condition.

SUSPENSION:
I would guess the YZ would have more sophisticated suspension, seems most say KTM's of that year are harsh on both ends and need a revalving. But would the YZ be too heavily sprung for woods riding?

MOTOR:
I like a motor that does not intimidate but still puts a grin on your face. A friend of mine has '02 CRF450 and that is more power than I want, the same friend also has a CR 125, it is fun to ride and not intimidating but I want something in between the 2. I suspect either will have plenty to satisfy me, I wonder if the YZ would be intimidating, and how much a flywheel weight would help?

GEARING:
Will the YZ have a closer ratio transmisson than the EXC? If I would gear the YZ down for technical trails will I loose too much top end for the fast trails and fire roads?

:) GRIN FACTOR:
Like I said, FUN is the main goal here! Which do you think will put the biggest grin on the face of a trials rider who wants to blast the trail.

Thanks!

ls1cameric

Feb 23, 2006
Depends on who you ask i guess. I Wouldnt trade my YZ250 for any trail bike and thats really all I ride. I've got a friend who's on a KDX200 and I'll spank him all over most trails we ride. Tight stuff, he'll get me.
Yes the YZ will have the better suspension. As far as intimedation, i guess it depends on the person. There's not really any comparison to the cr125. It's not going to rip your arms off but you'd better be holding on when the power band comes because it's going to come hard. The 4t's have a alot more low end and pull strong all the way through the powerband so maybe thats what you didnt like about it. Yes the flywheel weight will help smooth out the snap of the powerband along with lower gearing (smaller front/larger rear sprokets). The newer Yz's have the smoother powerband of all 250's and they also have the strongest motors.
Not sure about the gearing but I'd be gussing it's a little diff seing that the exc is a trail bike and the yz is an MX.

As far as grin factor on the YZ250, You'll either be scared to death of it or you'll have a sh*t eating grin on your face for a week!

WLG101190

Apr 30, 2006
I would say to get the Yamaha YZ125, I have got one for trail riding and just playing around. It is a lot of fun and only 194 pounds, so you have basically complete control over it.

dirt bike dave

Sponsoring Member
May 3, 2000
You may need to dial in either bike suit you, but both are fine machines.

I have not ridden that year YZ, but a friend used to have an '00 200 exc. That bike was a total grin factory in the woods. Plenty of power and a real joy to ride.

That being said, I ride a woods converted 250 MX bike and love it.

Most 250's MXers have good enough low end power to pull a tall first gear in the woods. With the close ratio box, your top speed will probably be around 60 - 65 mph. You won't need more in the woods, even on fire roads.

Honestly, I think both are excellent choices for what you intend to do. Buy whichever one is in the best shape and go have fun!

Top Bottom