Markopolian

Apr 6, 2006
02/03/04 YZ250 or CR250

Ive been looking around at different bikes trying to decide between a cr250 or yz250. With the budget I have to work with im looking at the years 02/03/04. Between the 2 bikes in those years how did the yz and cr compare? did either change to a new model in 02/03/04? Im really leaning towards the yz but if honda had a better bike in those years ill scoop that up instead.

My other question is I found a 02 yz and the guy said the previous owner overheated it or ran the bike on low oil and scorched a cylinder or something. But he said there was a proffesional rebuild on it and its all good now. Should I be weary about this? Or would this be a good oportunity to pick up a good deal on a new engine? thanks in advance for both questions!!!

Last edited:

The Bigginner

Apr 22, 2006
dude i got the same thing going on like youi but im going for the 02 cr 250 bro 8hrs. well fimiliar to what your trying to do. i think you should just test ride both bikes bro feel the both bikes and make your choice and go tear it up bro. god be with you

jeebzes

Apr 22, 2006
bikes

I think u reaaly should check rm also they are also a great bike i just got a 2001 rm250 and the bike is great but im also just getting off a 1998 kx 500 :ride:

ls1cameric

Feb 23, 2006
Both good bikes but I say YZ.. Why? Because I was in the same situation about a month ago. You always know that Hondas are the most reliable but in the 98 and up years Yamaha has been hand in hand w/ Honda and the Yammy motor is 2nd to none in the 250cc class. I just bought myself a very well taken care of '02 yz250 and the thing is awesome! I do not have any doubts that I got the best bike out of the two.

Blake.s

Apr 25, 2006
dude I have both bikes and I get the YZ any day b/c is has more low and top end torque than any 250 I have rode and the bike holds up better and better resell

Markopolian

Apr 6, 2006
thanks guys im def getting a yz. But what year? 02/03 or 04? what were the changes in those years? Was the yz updated to a newer model in any of those years? Also what are the big things i should look for when i go look at bikes to make sure im getting a good bike? Im not as familiar with dirtbikes then i am with streetbikes. thanks!!

ls1cameric

Feb 23, 2006
Markopolian said:
thanks guys im def getting a yz. But what year? 02/03 or 04? what were the changes in those years? Was the yz updated to a newer model in any of those years? Also what are the big things i should look for when i go look at bikes to make sure im getting a good bike? Im not as familiar with dirtbikes then i am with streetbikes. thanks!!

There are not really any differences in those years. The 02-04's have the newer more potent engine and updated plastics but still have the steel frame. I chose 02 because i found one that was practicly show room new with 2 grand in mods for 2400.00. Needless to say, i snatched it quick!

If your gonna go look at one, i'd ask the guy not to start it before you get over there so that you can see if it starts on the 1st or second kick. kick it over, let it warm up and ride it around the block. See if it bogs, if so could just be the jetting so nothing major. and just give it a quick once over. check the air filter to see if it's been cleaned regularly. How new is the top end? I know I'm leaving a lot out but you can probably tell by the way the seller acts towards questions if he's full-o-**** or not. And ASK him questions about it!

Top Bottom