To all Yami YZ250 (04-07) Riders (Rear Suspension)

Aftermath

Nov 22, 2004
My first Yamaha was an 04 YZ250. Before that I was a bit of a Honda Fan. Now I have myself a brand new 07 YZ250. I have a question for all you YZ riders. Why is the back shock so harsh when it hits something at high speed. I've now had to turn down the "High Speed" clicker on my 07, like I had to do on my 04. Hopefully it sorts it out like it did on my 04.....What I'm talking about is the way, the one minute you're on the bike, the back hits, kicks up and sideways and you're right off. Came down face first on Sunday because of this. Cleared the front over a smallish ditch at about 80KM/h, but the back caught the lip kicked out in a spilt second. Not even old Travis Pastrana could have recovered from this.

Have any of you experienced this?, is turning down the HS COMP clicker the right way to calm it down?

PS, slowing rebound down only slightly helps at these high speed kickers.

Dekester

Jan 2, 2007
I had the same problem on my 04 after a suspension guy set the sag at 100 on the rear.

Before he changed it, I could fly through the whoops. The bike would float over the whoops. After he changed it, the bike bucked too much. It would want to launch the first whoop and launch again when it touched down again. It also would buck me off the pegs on low speed obstacles. Clicker adjustment did not help.

I think I need more sag than even 105 to prevent this. I am going to make a post about this now.

Charlie Mix

Feb 7, 2007
I think that you should revalve the shock to solve the problem.
The best is to arrange a double or triple stack valving.
The High Speed Comp damping register will not be able to solve this kind of problem.

In any case you can try to set more rebound damping (3-4 click in).
A basic rule is that more spring preload you set, more rebound damping you need (and eventually less comp. damping you need).

TWRT

Sep 13, 2001
The high-speed adjuster is not a clicker. It is a nut the turns right or left. I have my high speed set on the soft side also. It helps to keep the sharp hits from jolting me. But, it also drops the rear a little. By adjusting the low speed compression clicker, high speed nut and rebound clicker, you should be able to dial it in to your liking. My 06 works very well, for me. I was impressed with the changes a few clicks, or turns, can make.

RACER557

Mar 11, 2007
my 05 seems to work well in the back. my problem i think is in the front. feels harsh when i first hit the ground. could it be the rear??

Benny477

Aug 22, 2005
I have the same dilema with my 03,to get the bike to turn it likes to be around 1 out on the highspeed comp with about 98mm of sag but it`s pretty stiff even with the lowspeed out to compensate. I like the way it feels much more with the highspeed comp at 1 and a half but it doesn`t turn that well even with the forks pulled up in the clamps. I`ve usually kept rebound at 10 to 12 clicks out but I`m still working on a better setup. Anybody got a better idea?

drrty

Mod Ban
Sep 13, 2006
Check your rear spring to make sure it isn't "bound" up. If it is, the bike will have a tendency to kick the rear end up on jumps and over whoops....you have to have static sag set right, then set your loaded sag....if those 2 aren't correct, everything else will be off....

Top Bottom