pncstod

Jun 8, 2008
I just picked up a 03 YZ250. Bike is pretty clean and looks like it has not been ridden much at all. Still has stock tire and stock chain and sprokets. It has a FMF gold series Gnarly pipe and a Pro Circuit 304 Silencer. From what i read these are a pretty good year YZ and have strong motors. I am actually going to ride it for the first time today, other than the few test rides ive done in the yard :)

My question is is there any weak points that need to addressed on this year YZ250? Any must get upgrades or anything like that. Anyone with experience with an 03 that could help out would be appreciated. Thanks in advance!

georgia_tom

Feb 22, 2008
There's no weak points that I know of. Your right, the '03 models are a great year because they redid the tranny and a few other things. I've had mine since late February of this year and it's still runnin strong. Haven't had a problem with it yet, and it's my first bike!

pncstod

Jun 8, 2008
I rode saturday and sunday. Bike ran perfectly....It definately has a strong motor in it! I am way more comfortable on the 2 strokes than the four strokes. I havent ridden in years--(i'm 37) and i got back into riding along with my 6 year old. I tried a 450 four stroke but swapped it for my current 250 two stoke and i am glad i did. I used to ride a kx 250 years ago and definately prefer 2 over the 4 strokes....Dont know exaclty what it is but there is a distinct difference....

XRpredator

AssClown SuperPowers
Damn Yankees
Aug 2, 2000
pncstod said:
. . . Dont know exaclty what it is but there is a distinct difference....
well, here's the deal:

Today, internal combustion engines in cars, trucks, motorcycles, construction machinery (and many others), most commonly use a four-stroke cycle. The four strokes refer to intake, compression, combustion and exhaust strokes that occur during two crankshaft rotations per working cycle of the engine. The four steps in this cycle are often informally referred to as "suck, squeeze (or squash), bang, blow".

The two-stroke internal combustion engine differs from the more common four-stroke engine by completing the same four processes (intake, compression, combustion, exhaust) in only two strokes of the piston rather than four. This is accomplished by using the beginning of the compression stroke and the end of the combustion stroke to perform the intake and exhaust functions. This allows a power stroke for every revolution of the crank, instead of every second revolution as in a four-stroke engine.

now you know.

pncstod

Jun 8, 2008
Oh i know the physical differences of the two cycle and the four cycle engine and how they work and run, i was refering to the fact that i couldnt get used to riding the 4 stroke versus a two stroke. Maybe its the weight being higher in the chassis? Maybe its the engine brake from the 4 stroke i dont like? I just like the feel of the two stroke powerband. Less punch down low and more on the mid to topend. The four stroke seems to have too much on the low good on the mid but laking in the top. Im no pro rider, i just mess around and am teaching my 6 year old on a KTM 50. I just enjoy the 2 strokes more....I guess you can throw them around more than the 450's. I rode a buds kx250f and it seems to lack power all around compared to a 450 or 250 2 stroke....

SpDyKen

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 27, 2005
You can likely find even better performance with some fine-tuning, via jetting, especially in smoothing out the "hit," and improving the bottom end. It will be the cheapest, most effective mod. you will make to your bike. This will also cut down the 'spooge,' from the pipe, as well.

The YZ's all come jetted quite rich, O.E.M.

You might start by researching some of the jetting threads here.

You'll probably want to add a flywheel weight, as well. Pretty much no down side to this mod, either.

You'll be amazed by how much these two mods. will make your bike even more ridable, believe it or not. :nod: :cool: :ride:

flying flea

Mar 18, 2008
We bought the factory connection aluminum covers for where the middle downtube in the frame meets the bottom and the foot peg. It keeps the frame from being scratched and peeled so much by your boot.

pncstod

Jun 8, 2008
SpDyKen said:
You can likely find even better performance with some fine-tuning, via jetting, especially in smoothing out the "hit," and improving the bottom end. It will be the cheapest, most effective mod. you will make to your bike. This will also cut down the 'spooge,' from the pipe, as well.

The YZ's all come jetted quite rich, O.E.M.

You might start by researching some of the jetting threads here.

You'll probably want to add a flywheel weight, as well. Pretty much no down side to this mod, either.

You'll be amazed by how much these two mods. will make your bike even more ridable, believe it or not. :nod: :cool: :ride:

The jetting seems to be pretty spot on. No spooge airfuel screw is where its supposed to be and it idles pretty well. I got it from someone who knew what they were doing. The flywheel weight seems like a cool idea. I guess it smooths out the bottom end from what i read? Any help on the flywheel would be helpful.

pncstod

Jun 8, 2008
flying flea said:
We bought the factory connection aluminum covers for where the middle downtube in the frame meets the bottom and the foot peg. It keeps the frame from being scratched and peeled so much by your boot.

Yeah i saw them, they seem real cool, but i dont know if im gonna be able to use them. I ordered a kickstand for the bike and will see once thats on if they will interfere with the kickstand. I am riding with a 6 year old who cant kick over his bike yet so i NEED a kickstand :)

jodyboy

Mar 5, 2008
I have had my '03 since January. Great bike! The only modification I had to make was repositioning the needle clip. But since you've seemed to have no problems with wet fouling a plug, I say you're good to go. Great choice of bike. Long live the two stoke! Long live the YZ!

SpDyKen

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 27, 2005
Hope you ordered a ProMoto Billet kick-stand. They are a bit expensive, but work great!

A FWW and a leaned down pilot circuit will let you idle, and ride it 'chugging,' just off idle, all day long. Important when riding at a slow pace with your son or daughter. I have gone from a #50 pilot (stock,) to a 38. I never have fouled a plug, either, even with stock jetting.

The new FMF Stealth/Q silencer is suppose to be very, very quiet, without affecting HP or driveability at all. I am about to spring for one.

I've been riding with my 13 y.o. daughter for the last 5 years, so I understand what you are doing.

jodyboy

Mar 5, 2008
SpDyKen said:
Hope you ordered a ProMoto Billet kick-stand. They are a bit expensive, but work great!

A FWW and a leaned down pilot circuit will let you idle, and ride it 'chugging,' just off idle, all day long. Important when riding at a slow pace with your son or daughter. I have gone from a #50 pilot (stock,) to a 38. I never have fouled a plug, either, even with stock jetting.

The new FMF Stealth/Q silencer is suppose to be very, very quiet, without affecting HP or driveability at all. I am about to spring for one.

I've been riding with my 13 y.o. daughter for the last 5 years, so I understand what you are doing.

What do you run main jet? Stock?

Top Bottom