02 cr250 flywheel weight question

matego

Feb 17, 2007
I know it has been asked 100 times but I want to know the real deal with flywheel weights. I ride 90% trail and 10% hill climb. I want the weight because sometimes you only need 10 more feet on the hill and the motor is bogging etc. I hate to feather the clutch because it tears them up. On the trail, I like the response of the engine to crack the throttle and carry the front tire over water holes. With a weight, do you loose the snap? Thanks for the response in advance!

darringer

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 2, 2001
No, you don't lose the snap. Depending on the size weight you will gain better traction and less stalling. Unfortunately, you still need to feather the clutch occasionally. I liked it with my stock '02cr250 and absolutely loved it with the 265 overbore. I ran a 12oz. weight. I hillclimb quite a bit and it was a big help for me. Feathering the clutch is a necessary skill for hillclimbing, with or without a weight. Besides, clutch plates aren't that expensive.

matego

Feb 17, 2007
Thanks for the help. I think I will get a weight and try it. I dont hill climb a lot, but we ride crushed coal piles that are 300' plus that cant be walked up, it is very soft. Sounds like the weight might help me from digging in suddenly. Thanks for the input.

motometal

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Sep 3, 2001
I would have to say it does tame down some of the snap, naturally...how would it not?

But for me, a worthwhile tradeoff. Tires last longer too!

Exiting corners is (I hate to say it) more like a four stroke, if the rear does break loose it's more predictable.

I've had great luck with clutches on CRs, and I do my share of slipping, 3rd gear corners etc. Have you had to replace the clutch a lot in your CR?

matego

Feb 17, 2007
It is a 02 and still on the factory clutch. I have been riding my 400ex a lot more due to a street bike accident. I have been running
Mobil mx4t in the gear case, I dont know if that helps clutch life or not. I try to be nice to my clutch, some of the trails we ride are 30mi. plus from the hard road. That is a long way to push! Thanks for the reply.

steve.emma

Oct 21, 2002
i have an 02' cr250 and have a flywheel weight on it, i really like the way it tames some of the snap out of the midrange.
i mainly use my cr for trailrides and i find it great for that. also if you go for a flywheel weight they can easily be removed if you try it and dont like it.

motometal

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Sep 3, 2001
matego said:
It is a 02 and still on the factory clutch. I have been riding my 400ex a lot more due to a street bike accident. I have been running
Mobil mx4t in the gear case, I dont know if that helps clutch life or not. I try to be nice to my clutch, some of the trails we ride are 30mi. plus from the hard road. That is a long way to push! Thanks for the reply.

that is a long ways. Usually when clutches go out, first they will slip when the engine is relatively cold (when you first start riding), and in the higher gears only. It shouldn't go from "working fine" to "slipping so bad it won't propel the bike" though...you would be able to make it back home, may have to use lower gears and or stay out of the powerband.

Yup, i'd say try a flywheel weight, if you don't like it take it off and sell it...but I think you will like it! :)

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom