BEEF706

Sponsoring Member
Jan 24, 2002
A lor of us with '02 CR250s are in love with the bike but a little less than happy with the motor, so we have been sharing different ideas and reviewing aftermarket stuff. While I am definitely not a performance guru (there are some of the best on this site) I have been able to ride several differnt set-ups back to back. These are my impressions so far,(I'm a mid pack 40+ mxer and a decent desert guy). So here goes (canvet, hope this helps)

Stock: smooth fun controlable, but not impressive on the mx track or sand washes.
1st step Procircuit pipe and shorty silencer: woke the bike up on the track and much better at "planing out" (getting the front wheel out of the drag) in the sand, pulls harder out of turns but still required clutch slippage to get a good launch or to do technical trails.
second step; head milled ten thousandths. much better response off the bottom, big gains in low and mid power, I feel like it revs better too, but this may be just because it gets to the upper range quicker. I would recommend this mod highly, especially if you live at altitude.(here about 5600 ft.).
So far I have stayed with the stock reed setup but I have ridden two bikes with my same pipe,head and jetting, and my seat of the patns impression was this; V-force, more hit more mid, better top, still clean down low but I am thinking of this setup for MX. Boyesen power reeds, more low end, smoother less hit, good single track setup but not a huge difference. Boyesen super stock reeds, I couldnt tell any real big difference, it felt a little more responsive off road, couldnt feel much difference at the track.
I also rode my buddy's '02 with the same head mod and an fmf Gnarly pipe and S/A combo. His is smoother than mine off the bottom, more down low, but seem to me to fall off the power quicker than mine does. I won't say it's slower than mine cause I can't catch him off road, but it feels sluggish to me now.
For me the biggest differences I felt (in order) were !. pipe and silncer 2. head mod, 3 reed setup. I don't know anyone with a Doma so no impression there, and the guy I know with an fmf fatty, wadded up his bike and body trying a huge step up (across a two lane road!) and his bike is unavailable for testing, he said he was a little disappointed with the pipe but didn't get specific.
Good luck and let me know whats working!

:aj:

Bruster

Feb 19, 2002
That is some great info Beef706! I to have the new CR and love it as well. I
just picked up the PC pipe and shorty and will be taking to the track this weekend to give it a try. I am sure it will help down low as you have stated.
I have spent most of my time messing with the jetting and think that finally
may have that in the ballpark. Beef706 did you have to change your jetting
after putting on the pipe and silencer?:think
Thanks again for the info beef706 and i'll let you all know how the pipe and silencer does here in the so cal area.:p

BEEF706

Sponsoring Member
Jan 24, 2002
bruster, mine was already jetted pretty close for our altitude, so I didn't have to make many changes. I raised the needle 1 clip notch and turned the airscrew in 1/4 turn for the pipe, and raised the needle 1 notch for the milled head. I have since gone back to the second clip on my needle. I am running jetting that would be really lean at sea level. Hope this helps get it in the ballpark, enjoy your new setup and let us know how it works. The bike is awesome, isn't it? :cool:

Bruster

Feb 19, 2002
Beef706, Yes I love the bike so far (x-mas present from the wife). I am armed with a fist full of jets and needles and will report back in after the weekend at the track.
:D

Bruster

Feb 19, 2002
Well, back from a day at the track and I must say that the Pro Circiut pipe and shorty silencer were money well spent. I noticed it significantly from the low to mid range. I was not sure it would help but the "wake up" as beef706 would put it is noticable. If any of you 02 cr250 owners out there are on the fence about the PC pipe and silencer combo, I would recommend it. As far as the jetting for here in so cal the jury is still out. I tried the 6BEY30-76 Needle Jet (2nd clip) and that cleaned it up some. I am currently running a 370 Main and the stock 32.5 Pilot. Air screw two and a half turns out. It is still running a little rich on the bottom but has cleaned up in the rest of the range. I will keep at it and report back anything new. This is a great forum! :D I have been reading and absorbing information for a while now and thought I would join up and chime in. Thanks for having me.

BEEF706

Sponsoring Member
Jan 24, 2002
HEY BRUSTER, GLAD YOU LIKE THE PIPE, I THOUGHT THE SAME. WON'T BE RIDING FOR A LITTLE WHILE, CRASHED TODAY AND BROKE MY HAND. SO LET ME KNOW HOW IT'S GOING WITH THE BIKE, AND I'LL LIVE VICARIOUSLY THROUGH YOU GUYS ON DRN.:aj:

Bruster

Feb 19, 2002
Hey beef706. Sucks to hear about the hand :ugg: and heal up fast! I will keep you posted on anything new.

Canvet, No I have not tried the stock silencer and PC pipe combo. I put on the pipe and silencer at the same time. I am too impatient to experiment. I want results now:eek: . Anyway give it a try, i'm sure it will help you out.
How do you like the bike so far? Any probs, tips etc.

elvismx

Oct 8, 2000
I have (so far) installed an FMF SST/Shorty combo and the Tassinari reed valve, along with 14/53 gearing and the mandatory jetting changes. Both the pipe/silencer and the reed block were good improvements. I don't think the gearing was worth the trouble (it's barely different than 13/49). The jetting is still not really great, but so far I'm running a 370 main, 27.5 pilot and the stock needle and stock clip postion. I hate pulling the carb off enough that I haven't started messing with the needle at all yet. It pulls good on top and runs clean on the bottom, though.

I spoke to the Tassinari guys at the Indy show, and they said that the 02 CR250 should be run with the reed stops in the low tension setting (even though there is a paper in the box saying not to do exactly that). They said that this is the only bike that they recommend the low setting. I'm pulling my block back out tomorrow and changing it; hopefully after Sunday's race I'll have positive things to report.

Bruster, glad to see you still have your 96. I sold mine to my brother to buy my 02, and it really sucks getting beaten to the first turn by him. Man, I miss that engine!

Bruster

Feb 19, 2002
elvis, no I could not part with the 96 it has been with me since new :eek:
and is still a great bike. I held out getting a new Honda until 02 because they had not gotten the bike right (chassis wise) until now. How do you like the FMF SST? I pondered that combo for a while until going with the PC. I might take the plunge on the reed valve swap next. Sounds like fun. I do enjoy the 02 very much even with the jetting woes. :scream: I had to do no jetting changes on the 96 so I look at it as a new learning experience
Take care and keep us posted on the upgrades.:aj:

ELSINORE_45

Feb 27, 2002
I would fisrt like to thank BEEF706,for the tip on milling the head.I did just that n found a place were the local honda shop gets there work done, 20 bucks n in 20 mins.it was done 8). some of the shops in town were asking 80 bucks n a ten day wait 8( yeah right. I have a 02 cr 250 n had da same troble as most of us have or had ,so Ears what i did for my bike 1. the carb NDL,JET (6BEH2-73} part#16233-KZ3-L12 MAIN NOZZLE S4 part#S-4 HEX MAIN JET 4/042-430 yes thats a 430. PILOT JET (slow jet} 35. the amount of all was $48.96 oh dam 50 spot. i also have a FMF fatty pipe n shorty {got pipe before I ever read any of the above answers. pipe n silencer work just fine 8) I added the DELTA REED VALVE too n last but not least mill da head n with that a price of lets just say a lil bit of green, made my bike a YZ eater, lol .8)Well with all the mods i did milling da head was the last n dollar 4 dollar was the best,the eletric boog a loo has now steped up to hyper drive. n theres lots of blue behind me n i not talkin about exhaust fumes. lol thanx again. ELSINORE _45 . obtw i also have a 74 cr250m a 75 cr125m 76cr125m 80cr125r last year of the elsinores, n 92 cr250r. 8)

Philip

Dirtweek Junkie
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 15, 2002
Hey guys great info. I am down here in So. La. so I at sea level at best in fact my yard is only 6' above. My bike is real sluggish down low where do i start with jetting. Its obvious factory settings are not right. I am all stock at the moment but do plan on mods when i get some $$$$$$$$$$. Thanks.;)

BEEF706

Sponsoring Member
Jan 24, 2002
Phillip, my elevation is so far off that my numbers probably are irrelevant for jetting, but if it's boggy off the bottom, try leaning out the airscrew 1/4 turn at a time, I would also raise the clip on the needle one notch (but listen out for detonation). elsinore, glad you liked the head mod, my dealer and service manger rccomended it and I too loved the result. Dang these are fun bikes, I ought to be out there riding again in 2 wks, the cast comes off April 1.:cool:

Bruster

Feb 19, 2002
Philip, I would suggest starting with the S8 nozzle, needle and pilot :silly:
Here is my recipe for mostly sea level southern cal.

Main: 390
Pilot: 30
Needle: 6BEY30-76 (Honda part# 16206-KZ3-L22)
Needle clip: 3rd
Air screw: 2 turns out
Nozzle: S8 (Yamaha part# 3TC-14141-S8)
91 octane pump gas mixed at 36:1
Honda HP2 premix

You're looking at maybe 30 to 40 bucks in the jetting dept.to get it to run awsome:aj:
I hope this is of some help to you. It has only taken me two months :scream: of trial and error to come up with this clean running recipe. Good luck and enjoy the bike. They are awsome regardless:D

Philip

Dirtweek Junkie
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 15, 2002
Bruster & BEEF706
Thanks for the info.I give it a try.

As I said before my bike is still totally stock, Having to buy mods one at a time should I buy a pipe first or a v-force reed valve? Which will give me the best low end?

Thanks

Bruster

Feb 19, 2002
Philip, I would concentrate on getting your bike to run clean down low first (jetting) then take it from there. I only have the pipe installed on mine so Beef706 would be more qualified on whether to get the pipe or v-force first as he has both:eek: .

BEEF706

Sponsoring Member
Jan 24, 2002
Hey guys, I think that the pipe, silencer gave me more feelable result, but it is more money. My most cost effective engine mod was millimg the head ($25) and jetting carefully, not many $ but a lot of time. Right now I'm out of action but keep me posted on what you lucky ones who are riding are doing.;)

Philip

Dirtweek Junkie
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 15, 2002
Thanks BEEF will do.

I hate to rub it in but starting good friday I go on vacation for 10 days. Nothing but ridin & relaxin.:moon:

Top Bottom