DR. DOOM

Jan 9, 2001
Just picked up my new CR and had a couple of questions on setting it up.
How much grease is coming through from the factory on the steering stem, linkage and swingarm?
Are you taking the airboot off and sealing the airbox w/silicone or just caulking around the exterior?
What about sag settings?
How is the stock chain?
Is there anything else I should be looking out for?
Thanks for your replies

DKT735

Sponsoring Member
Mar 16, 2000
- Grease the steering stem bearings, swing arm and the shock linkages. I use the Honda Moly paste. It's expensive but I've found that it lasts the longest.

- I've read about the sealing problems witht he air boot. Mine isn't leaking but I'm going to disassemble the air boot seal it then put it back together.

- I set my sag at 3.75 inches for hardpack and tight tracks. 4 to 4.25 for sand or high speed tracks. I recommend playing with it alittle and see what you like. I also move the triple clamps down on the forks depending on conditions.

- I replaced the stock chain with an Oring chain before I rode the bike.

- I've had the steering stem nut come loose on my 02 and 01. Take a fine tip felt marker and mark the nut and steering stem so you can see if it has loosened up.

- When I first got the bike, I changed by gearbox oil after about 15 of riding then changed it after 30 minutes. You'd be surpirsed at how much metal comes out during those first few oil changes.

- Be careful when you tighten the spokes. They are aluminum, use the spoke wrench that comes with the bike.

Let us know how your getting along with the bike.

Top Bottom