trshot

Aug 31, 2003
I just bought what appears to be an almost brand new 2002 kx 250. Aside from the fact of how clean it is, there is a problem. it is very, VERY hard to start ( I kick with no throttle&choke on) It will flood so I then will open throttle a bit and hope it starts! I have had luck with it starting right up too. I have not ridden it yet because it bogs while I give it throttle(like a fuel problem)and then stalls and will not restart and the kicking begins again!! I'm looking for suggestions if there a common problem before I get into it.

DWreck

~SPONSOR~
Apr 14, 2002
First off, I would make sure that you have fresh fuel and that it is properly mixed, make sure your spark plug is gapped properly and check your carburetor vent hoses to make sure that they aren't kinked. It sounds like the bike is a little rich and needs to be leaned out. I don't know anything about the previous owner but he may not have known much about bikes and been afraid to touch the jetting, I know I was when I had my first bike. If my above recommendations don't get your bike running the way you want pull the carb and find out what jets you have and compare it to stock. I don't know anyone who has an '02 so I'm not sure how they come stock. I first started with raising the clip and playing with the air screw and later went one step leaner on the main and pilot before I ended up with my bike running exactly the way I wanted. I have always felt that if a bike is jetted right you should need the choke when it is cold, turn it off almost immediately after you start the bike. No choke when it is warm with the throttle held partially to all the way open when it is warm. There are many people at DRN that know much more about jetting than me so maybe they will have some good ideas and can dispute/ verify what I am saying. Good Luck.

bigred455

"LET'S JUST RIDE"
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Sep 12, 2000
Check the reeds 1ST If they check out go through carb and pull all the jets and clean all the orfices and the jets. Check the float height and needle.

FritoBandito

Sep 18, 2001
I have one of these bikes, and it starts very easily. Like most bikes, it was too rich, so that is likely the problem, but you need to see what jetting it has and see if it is stock or has already been changed by the previous owner.

Nevada Sixx

Jan 14, 2000
look at your wires on your kill switch to make sure they arnt grounding against the bars. also, check your silencer for bad packing/wasp nest,, and clean your air filter as well as clean out the choke on the carb. while you got the carb off, check your reeds.. after that, check for bad head gasket and get new rings. is the water in radiator green and not milky?

darnjr

Jul 5, 2001
I run a 52 pilot and 160 main in my 02KX250. It had a 58 pilot and 165 (i think) main in stock form. The stock jetting was way too rich for cross country racing. Use a BR8EIX platinum plug. That's what comes in the bike stock.

Top Bottom