02 rm 250 in the woods or cr250??

2 B

Aug 31, 2000
How come you don't see any rm's in the woods any more. I race Dist 17 and I don't see any. I thought about gettin one just to be different from everybody. Seems like everybody has a Ktm or Kdx or Yamaha what gives. I race haresrambles. Just would like to know how the bike compares to a 02 cr 250. I have rode the 02 honda a little and there is no hit,smooth power,very tractable,turns on a dime with nine cents change. Suspension and overall feel of the bike is great. If the 02 rm250 has all these features I would seriously consider it. Do to the fact I think honda has relied more on electronics where suzuki has not. What is going to happen when all the electronic stuff gets wet or you have a electronic bug in your bike somewhere. I have worked with lots of electrical stuff and it is great when works. And is **** when it is not working. So if you would give positives and negatives about the bike it would be great. Plan on racing the bike bike so if it needs aftermarket stuff I will consider the cr 250 due to the fact that it can be raced right out of the box.

HONDA65

~SPONSOR~
Mar 4, 2000
One thing you might want to consider is that Team Suzuki runs RMs back east and there are many products available to set it up for off road. I have ridden both and I would pick the RM, because it has better low end and it's more nimble. However, the seat is really tall, so unless your 6' or more, you might want to invest in a shorter seat kit (One Industries, SDG) Its not that big of a deal for MX, but it might off road.

I think you could race the RM right out of the box, more so than the CR, IMHO.

MN KDXer

Registered
Jun 7, 1999
I own a 02 RM250, and got it out for a few-four tanks of gas this fall. I raced a 01 RM250 last summer, for comparison. Both RM's have razor sharp steering, which is a definite advantage in the woods. You will be able to steer around obstacles which everyone else is hitting, as well as the RM can easily switch lines while others are hugging the berm. In the open, the RM runs straight and stable, IF it is equipped with a steering damper. Basically, the RM is a big feeling bike which steers VERY well.

The power of the 02 is quite strong. I would give it the nod over a 01 CR250 on all rpm ranges. Down low, the RM is faily smooth, but it comes on with aggression at mid range. It might be a handful for slower B riders or average C riders in the tight stuff. You will love it in the open stuff, though. I put on my 13oz Steahly weight and it helped the lower power delivery w/o taking anything off the top. The FWW did seem to make the hit a little more pronounced, though... maybe.

The seat is not much of an issue, since the stock foam will flab out after a while, and you can buy either tall or short foam from several places. If you want low, order 01 RM250 foam; 01 125 & 02 125+250 = tall.

2 B

Aug 31, 2000
I have been told that the 02 RM 250. That you have to split the case's in order to work on the water pump . Just would like to know from owners if that is true or not? I personaly have not had a chance to look at one close up yet to determine if this is true or not.l

zorlac_147

~SPONSOR~
Jan 31, 2001
I recently bought an 02 RM 250 and have an 01 cr 250 and have ridden a 02 cr 250. So far I am very happy with my RM the motor and suspension seem very good to me I like the package alot better that my 01 cr. the 02 CR is a nice bike but seems a little stiff for offroad use in stock form but that depends on your weight. I do know that I saved quite a bit of money on the Rm over the CR so that is something to consider. I would look around for the best deal. You will not be dissapointed in the 02 RM 250.

Nathan
02 RM 250

Top Bottom