ajjacobs

Apr 29, 2007
Hey all. My buddy has an '02 XR250 that he has been storing at me house for a while. I had it running great in Oct when I put it away for the winter. Fogged the cyl, stabil'd the gas, changed the plug and oil. This spring I cant seem to get it running. Seems like there is really weak spark. Checked all the connections to the coil and whatnot, and am at a loss. I am thinking the coil may be shot but in many years of riding (2 stroke) have never seen a failed coil. Should I just replace the coil or look elsewhere? Thanks.

dirt bike dave

Sponsoring Member
May 3, 2000
Before you do anything drastic, drain all the gas, including the gas in the float bowl.

Put in some fresh premium gas.

The stabil may help keep water out of the fuel, but it does not change the fact that gas is old.

ajjacobs

Apr 29, 2007
dirt bike dave said:
Before you do anything drastic, drain all the gas, including the gas in the float bowl.

Put in some fresh premium gas.

The stabil may help keep water out of the fuel, but it does not change the fact that gas is old.

Is 6 months really that old? My CR was put to sleep the same time and ran like a champ. The Boat had stabiled gas from Sept and runs great. I'll try it but like I said spark seemed really weak (plug on head with a few kicks). Stator (magneto) works cause the lights light up when kicked.

Ol'89r

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 27, 2000
ajjacobs said:
Is 6 months really that old? .

Yes, with the gasoline blends we have today, a carb can get clogged up in 6 months. Take dirt bike daves advice and clean the carb. Especially the pilot jet.

If you are going to store your bike for any length of time, it's a good idea to drain the gas from the carb and blow the jets out with compressed air.

Uchytil

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 29, 2003
I agree (sort of) about 6 month old gasoline, however, I also feel STABIL will keep gasoline fairly fresh unless the gasoline was stored in a hot enviroment. In cooler states gasoline sored in the winter usually does fine with little evaporation and STABIL never hurts. Hot climates, summer, etc. can destroy aromatic fuels faster and leave behind varnish. I do feel draining gasoline, from both the tank and carb, is a good practice for long term storage. I would do as the others said first but also check that "new" spark plug you installed when you fogged the cylinder. Sometimes the fogging oil can wet the plug causing a weak spark. Why not check those valve gaps while you are at it. Tight valves - no start! Good luck.

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
Yes that gas can make a difference in starting. So can clogged up passages in the carb, I always drain mine. Try this, drain the old gas and put new fuel in, remove the carb take it apart & clean it with a fine tooth comb, set the float height and reinstall. Remove the air filter element and clean & oil it but leave it off. Pull the decompression lever and kick it thru about 10 times. Turn the idle screw up a full turn, flip the choke on, slowly kick it to TDC then return the lever to the top and kick it thru. Do this 3 to 5 times if it doesn't fire do the 10 kicks to clear it and then try again. If you still have nothing replace the plug and repeat, if that doesn't do the trick check your valve clearances, adjust as necessary and repeat the starting proceedure. If that doesn't work I'll be amazed.

ajjacobs

Apr 29, 2007
Ok, Sorry for not getting back sooner I kind of forgot about this (no e-mail notification for some reason). The carbs were drained of all gas when put to sleep for the winter. Fresh/full tank of 93 with stabil added at the same time (Nov). I drained all the gas from the tank and will use in the lawnmower, I have yet to refill with new gas (I'll get back to ya'll when that happens). My main question, and I know all you are saying its a fuel issue, but should there be a strong noticable spark from the plug when kicking it over with the plug removed and aginst the head? What I saw was weak and intermittent. Any other/better ways to diagnose weak/poor spark (got a new plug last week also). Again, I appriciate all the help.

AJ

ajjacobs

Apr 29, 2007
Ok, started to look at this again. Have drained all gas refilled with fresh 93, removed and cleaned the carb/passages/ and jets, new plug, new coil (found a split in the cable insulation), same issue. I am at a loss. Someone mentioned to check the valve adjustments. What are the symptoms of the valves being out of adjustment? Others are saying its a carb, issue. Should I get a rebuild kit? Also note it wouldn't even pop with ether, so I am having a hard time believing its the carb. Any other thoughts? Thanks again.

AJ

ajjacobs

Apr 29, 2007
On a side note, my CR is back again after snapping the chain adjuster bolt in the swingarm. What a PITA that was.

Uchytil

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 29, 2003
ajjacobs said:
I am at a loss. Someone mentioned to check the valve adjustments.
AJ

Just follow the book for adjustment. They usually get tight over time and you will have a no-start issue. All you need are a set of feeler gauges. I'm not saying it's not a weak spark, or fuel issue, just another tool in the arsenal. Good luck.

Top Bottom