'02 yz 250f vs. '02 yz 250 (power delivery and engine maintenance).

thek

Mar 9, 2003
I have been riding my 02 yz 250f for awhile now and absolutely love it. I especially love the smooth power delivery and the torque down low.

I love the way you can ride my local mx track without changing gears that much (3rd and 4th almost the entire track). I pretty much ride only mx.

But what I dont like about it is the cost of running it (engine wise). Ive spent lots of money on it (cam timing chains, cam chain adjuster, new rings, reshimming the valves) and now its apparently due for new valves which will be like $1000+.

this is ridiculous! Its just too much. And who knows what is next?

I want to sell it and get an '02 yz 250 so I can do the piston and rings twice a year and be done with it.

But will I be able to ride the yz 250 like I rode the 250f?

What if I got a smaller rear sprocket or just rode it a gear higher than you usually would?

Flywheel weight maybe?

Would doing that make it more 250f like?

Would a yz 250 be a lot less cost with maintaining it engine wise?

Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:

Studboy

Thinks he can ride
Dec 2, 2001
The YZ250 is close to the same weight and more powerful everywhere. You can easily tailor the YZ250 to fit your riding style with porting, but I like the engine on mine pretty much stock.

The 2-Stroke should be cheaper maintenance wise. You should be able to get away with 1-2 topends a year depending on your riding, and a bottom end every 2-3+ years depending on how you ride the bike.

anca

Nov 7, 2003
I’m somehow in the same dilemma, but I’m thinking to go from ’02 yz250 to ’05 yzf250 (maybe ’05 yz250). Maintenance wise I think is no problem with 2 stroke. I rode allot (even in winter) and all I need to do is change 1-2 times a year the piston and then bottom end like Stud has said. But you have to measure from time to time the clearance between the cylinder and piston, otherwise you’re in danger of replating .
You’ll be able to ride it, but for less time, at least I can go longer (maybe faster) on a friends yzf on track, off-road I like 2 stroke better. If you’re fit and take time to adapt it should be no problem.
Now if I could decide for myself : YZ or YZF. Hmmm, maybe to many oil changes, filters, cam chains, shims, valves….. oh and the power, that beautiful, live power of 2 stroke….than again 4S, no more tiredness…. :think:

NCyz250racer

Dec 28, 2004
I have an 04 YZ250 2 stroke and absolutely love it! I mostly trail ride but am wanting to get into MX soon. the way I ride the power is always there, twist the throttle and it goes. A buddy of mine has a 03 YZ125 and I have never lost a race to him even though I have been riding about 5 years less than him and I outweigh him by about 50 lbs. I have only been riding about 6 months and this is the first dirtbike I have ever owned. There is enough torque to get around a track if you don't really want to shift gears but you will have to fan the clutch or downshift to get max trust. Just remember that there is a big power difference between the two bikes, mine will pull unexpected wheelies in 4th gear! As far as maitenance, I have yet to rebuild mine, probably have 50+ hrs on the original top end, but I believe it is due to be changed so I'm ordering a top end kit soon.

Rob

blanc

Dec 18, 2002
It s gonna cost you 200 tops to do the valves and get all the gaskets. Yeah 1000 is nuts....correct. Sounds like you need an endur 250 like a GasGas 2stroke and get the suspension revalved. Perhaps just a number board. Id put money that youd be quicker on that than on a yz...any rider in the beginnerc/b would.

Chris_S

Nov 25, 2002
A 250 2 stroke w/ a FWW is the ticket...much less/easier maint. than a 250 thumper, and the FWW smooths out the power delivery and makes it much less tiring. I'm so happy I switched from thumpers!

thek

Mar 9, 2003
Thanks for the info guys. I think I just got swept up in the whole "gotta have a 4 stroke'" mentality.

Its funny I first had a rm 125 99 that I didnt really like that much, not enough power, especially down low. lol. and too many bloody gear changes! Then I got this 02 yz 250f, that I love, but has proven itself to be unviable due to high maintenacne costs. And now Im going to get a yz 250. Which is what I should have done in the first place (and was going to do but I decided against it at the last minute).

Oh well you live and you learn.

jimyz

Nov 9, 2000
I recently went from an 04 250f to an 05 yz250, same wieght with huge power differences. It is nice having the grunt out of a turn to clear a double or triple. Big difference!

Top Bottom