MadMark

Nov 3, 2000
Hello all,

I have browsed this site and it seems to be full of useful info. I'm sure I could get some biased responses here and maybe that's what I'm looking for . I currently race HS, 250B, on my 2001 YZ250. I've added the essentials-big tank, flywheel weight, o-ring chain, handguards, scotts damper (not sure if that's essential but man is it a lifesaver). I really like the bike. I want to start hitting some enduros, and at least another HS series that requires a spark arrestor. So I'm faced with again sinking more money in to my current ride-probably pretty considerable to make it enduro legal. So I'm trying to justify the cost of a new bike. The new 250exc looks super sweet, but I'm torn. Has anyone came from my bike or a similarly converter MX'er. Aside from being enduro equipped how much better is it the woods? Is it really night and day?

Thanks in advance for your responses.

Barbarian

Nov 22, 2001
Mark,
Living in Charlotte you will be riding Setra enduro's which only require a sparkarrestor and a non-working headlight. For Brown Mountain, Cherokee National, and Sandlapper you will need the light to work and have a fake license tag from somebody's street bike.
I wouldn't worry about changing bikes if I was you. You can get a headlight that runs off of a 9-volt battery very easy, then go borrow somebodys tag or pay them to lose it.
Make sure you get the spark-arrestor if nothing else. That rule is often taken seriously to satisfy public land managers.
If you like your current bike, don't spend thousands of dollars and 6 months getting used to a new one when you can just spend $200 and be legal for any Setra enduro or harescramble.

Fred T

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 23, 2001
I love my '03 EXC. It's fast, it handles well and it's capable of winning overall in any race you enter in off road either Hare Scrambles or Enduros. What's a Yammie YZ 250 retail for like $6000 OTD? Then you have a close ratio tranny, have to add moo goo money and time to get it Enduro Ready. You can spend $6000 OTD on a 250 EXC, add some Enduro Engineering Barkbusters and the tires of your choice and race it. Seems pretty simple and less expensive than riding blue.

Last edited:
Top Bottom