sandflyz

Dec 10, 2004
I've spent hours in these forums trying to come up with a solution to the hard to jet 03 CR. After many hours spent reading i decided to purchase the JD jetting kit for my bike. It came with two needles. One a little richer with a blue spec of paint on the tip to identify it, and one a little leaner with a red spec of paint for identification. After some playing around with clip positions starting off quite rich to avoid any excessivly lean conditions i gradually went leaner and leaner and wound up using first clip position on the red needle which is as lean as you can go.
I am at 4500'. Temps were abou +12C. I had the #30 pilot in and a 400 main. I diden't get a chance to play around with it any more than that as it was late in the day cold, windy and was getting dark
I had a chance to ride it though for about half an hour and it ran great. No lean condition at quarter throttle and very strong throughout the entire RPM range. This is the first time since purchasing the bike that i have ridden it with as close to perfect jetting as one could ask for. I still plan on leaning the main out one size from a 400 to 390 and will probbly replace the slow jet with a #30. Even the way it is, still slightly on the rich side until i fine tune with the main, slow jet, and air screw, it feels like a new bike. It seems to pull harder for longer, has no hesitations anywhere and the throttle response is much quicker, and no weird surging that i was getting from the stock selection of needles. For anyone wondering if these jets are the miracle cure for Mikuni carbs, I can say from personel experiance that they work great and do not hesitate to recomend them. What sort of know how do I have to recomend the kit. Hardly any other than i am a rider just like all you out there and appreciate a qality product such as this. I don't know what Mikuni needles go for in the USA for, but here in Canada they are about $20.00 a pop.By the time you spend a handful of cash on needles, jets and time spent tunning and not ridding, you will spend as much as if you went and purchased the JD kit. It cost me about $100.00 canadian. This included two slow jets, the two needles, and an asortment of main jets. I think #420, 410, 400, 390, and maby a 380. So when you look at what all is included and the fact that you will finally be satified with your jetting and can spend more time enjoying your bike, you will see the cost is fair.Besides, if it wasen't that great i would not have posted this cause i can't type very well.
One more thing to note that i thought was odd. When i posted a question on thumper talk to JD pertaining to weather or not his kit would perform as well as swiching to an airstyker carb, JD's response was almost immediate. He then told me what sj,mj, needle and clip position to use upon receiving the kit. I thought this was strange in that he did not ask where what elevation i was at or any typical atmospheric conditions i experience when riding. I thought to myself, "How can me make jetting suggestions without having any of this info?" Anyway he was only one clip sosition off in suggesting 2nd clip position red needle when what i wound up using was the first clip position, red needle.

Later eh

Last edited:

Top Bottom