chevy383cid

Aug 26, 2005
James,I have just finished installing one of your jetting kits on my 02 kx 250(nice kit by the way) I used the blue needle with the clip in the middle position, the 168 main,and the 45 pilot(wich is the same as the one that was already installed)mixture screw out 1.5 to 2.0 turns. With the motor warmed up it does run a little better and throttle response seams to be very crisp,but at idle it sounds like it is about to run out of fuel( long duration pops not the short ones that I'm used to hearing) I was just wondering if this is normal or should i swap out to the red needle or a larger main? I.m running 114 race at 32:1 maxim super M> my elevation is 1980. Thanks

mattb348

Aug 2, 2005
Definitely don't use the 55 slow jet, as that is way to rich. I also have a 2002 kx 250, and I use the same jetting kit with the same exact jets, along with the blue needle in 3rd clip position.

My bike idle's great. My air screw is 1 and 1/4 turns out, as specified by my manual, and it idles great, and throttle response is great. Try playing around with the air screw until you find the point where it idles good, AND throttle response is good.

Also, you may have to turn up the idle a bit; the idle can be turned up by screwing the screw with the spring on it, inward. Outward will slow down the idle.

I wouldn't really worry about what your bike sounds like when its idle'ing, as long as it actually stays idle'ing, and throttle response is good. If your bike was pinging then that would be bad, but it doesn't sound like it is.

chevy383cid

Aug 26, 2005
It's the fact that it sounds different at idle than it did before that concerns me ,the old and new pilots are the same(45)The kit made it alittle more responsive and I am very satisfied< I've rebuild several holleys in my day and jets will grow larger in time from fuel flowing thru ,Thats proboly what it is ,the new jet it fresh and acerate,the old one did look pretty old( I could barely see the number on it)and proboly had grown slitely larger in size over three years! Have you installed your jd kit yet Matt? How many times has that kx 500 showed you who was the boss???

mattb348

Aug 2, 2005
chevy383cid said:
It's the fact that it sounds different at idle than it did before that concerns me ,the old and new pilots are the same(45)The kit made it alittle more responsive and I am very satisfied< I've rebuild several holleys in my day and jets will grow larger in time from fuel flowing thru ,Thats proboly what it is ,the new jet it fresh and acerate,the old one did look pretty old( I could barely see the number on it)and proboly had grown slitely larger in size over three years! Have you installed your jd kit yet Matt? How many times has that kx 500 showed you who was the boss???

Yea, I already installed the jd kit in my 250.

I've only ridden the KX 500 like 3 times since I bought it, since now the stupid ass snow is here. I've only dumped it once; I was sliding it around by locking up the back brakes and I had it slide out from under me when I hit some mud :)
Thats about it for flops so far. Man that thing is a blast to ride! I haven't ridden my 250 since I got it :)

chevy383cid

Aug 26, 2005
Just to prove my theory wright, I installed the old 45 pilot and it know idles better! It just sounded like it was starving for fuel with the new one in !

mattb348

Aug 2, 2005
chevy383cid said:
Just to prove my theory wright, I installed the old 45 pilot and it know idles better! It just sounded like it was starving for fuel with the new one in !

If its starving for fuel then all you have to do is either adjust the air screw, or try putting in the next size up pilot, which is a #48.

Also try just turning up the idle if its idling real slow. If the idle is set TOO low then I don't think its gonna sound right; its going to barely run.

Top Bottom