03 KDX Handle Bars and bark busters

mad_german

Aug 11, 2003
My friend and I with our 03 200 and 220's have both bent the bars a time or two already. We pulled loose the perches and reset the rubber cones, flattened out the washers etc... And that got us back to nearly straight.

He was looking a pro taper or renthal bars and new perches if necessary, but we have heard that not getting OEM bend bars prevents steering dampers and most importantly the trail tech cycle computer. On renthals site, we measured all the dimensions of the stock bars, they are very wide, they really only had a couple bars on their chart that met the width dimension and the sweep/rise/height is not quite the same.

What are some bars that won't bend all the time? What is a good 'justkdx' tested solution? Do we need to do the non rubber mounted perches (aluminum cones) so the bars don't twist in the top triple.

FYI I have tried to look at FRPoffroad but the catalog has been down for a while. Also tried to search here but that doesn't work either saying the tech staff has been alerted etc...

What bars that won't bend in low speed climb tip overs, what perches?

Also looking for steel bark busters with plastic handguards that mount to either just below the top triple on the fork tubes, or mount to the bars in near the bend.

Can you point me to a place to buy online

Thanks

Braahp

~SPONSOR~
Jan 20, 2001
Pro Tapers are of course the best. Any aftermarket aluminum bar would be fine though. I even had the cheapo MSR alum for a while and never bent them. CR High bend is most popular I believe....just cut them down to your preferred size. Don't go under 29 or you will have trouble mounting the new Enduro Engineering bark busters. Don't even bother with any other bark busters or you will just bend them up like crazy every time you fall. You can get a one piece top clamp that will solve the twisting problem. FRP is good for standard bars and there are a few choices for the Pro Taper size. The stock rubber will be fine with the clamp but the cones alum or stiffer rubber are even better for "feel". The Trail Tech computer will mount right to the top clamp or beside it with any bend bars. Te WER damper is the way tyo go and it mounts on front fender so bars doesn't matter with it. Good luck......let 'er rip!

wanaride

~SPONSOR~
Jul 18, 2003
FWIW, I ordered the FRP aluminum handsavers with plastic guards. Cost about $80 for everything including shipping. I messed up my stock bars when trying to put them on, maybe this was a blessing in disguise? Anyway, I got those cheap MSR aluminum bars Braahp mentioned, CR High bend, they look identical to the stock bars as far as bend, sweep and rise. They seem to do the job and were much cheaper ($37) than Renthals or Pro Tapers.

If you do get the FRP handsavers and aluminum bars, be prepared to tap the 5/16" nut into the end of the bar...at least, that is what Jeff at FRP told me today. Their instructions aren't too good IMO, hope the guards are better than the instructions!

outrgus

Jan 15, 2003
IF YOUR LOOKING FOR STIFFER MOUNTS FOR YOU BAR CLAMPS USE THE FACTORY HONDA ONES. THEY ARE ALOT STIFFER THAN THE STOCK KDX ONES AND IF YOUR LOOKING FOR A ONE PIECE TOP CLAMP USE A STOCK ONE OFF A KX250 (MY WAS OFF A 2001). I HAVE THIS COMBO ON MY 2001 KDX AND IT WORK GREAT (NO MORE TWISTED BARS IN THE CLAMPS)

JCW

~SPONSOR~
Jan 23, 2003
I've got 28" Renthals and Hebos on my bikes with the Trail Tech computer and there's no problem. The only problem is trying to get everything mounted on 28" bars, as there's not much room. If your trails are fairly open, I would not cut the bars below 30". A lot of our trails are super tight.

I am in the process of switching to Pro Taper Fat Bars and a Scotts steering damper. Several guys I ride with swear by the fat bars. Scotts also said the fat bars are supposed to be much stronger and reduce hand and arm fatigue.

Regarding bark busters, I've used Moose aluminum busters for a long time and I haven't had any problem with them. I've never bent one and I've bounced off of a few trees and hit the ground a few times. The key to me is get something with a good angle that will deflect off of a tree instead of catch the tree and launch you over the bars. That, plus cut down levers and bars is my advice.

Good Luck-
JCW

Top Bottom