mikromo

Jul 6, 2000
Just bought a new 03 KTM200EXC. I weigh approx 210lbs in full gear, and I'm a fast older "C" class rider. Overall finishs in most hare scrambles I enter I'm about exactly in the middle. My question is, What springs should I go with in the front forks, 4.0 or 4.2, and will my straight rate spring on my 99 KTM 200EXC rear shock, work on my new 03. Are the new 03's sprung as soft as the old ones have been? I really ride mostly rooty, snotty, rock strewn trail and prefr "plush". I'm picking the bike up saturday, and don't want to ride it untill I get it set up for my weight. I'm going to race the old 99 Sunday, but want to get the new one sorted as soon as possible. Thanks in advance for any advice.

marcusgunby

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 9, 2000
Whipit is giving good advice-the pds shocks take at least 15 hours to bed in.Your spring should fit on but i would give the 03 set up a try as they have come along way.
www.mx-tech.com has a spring rate generator to give you a guide on rates.

mikromo

Jul 6, 2000
I fully understand that the suspention needs breaking in, but seeing ( as I understand it ) the proper springs hold the suspention at the proper ride height, allowing the forks and shocks to operate in the correct portion of the stroke. Jeez, I hope that made sense. Anyway, would'nt they still break in OK? When I get it I'll try to set the sag with the stock spring, but the dealer says if the sag with rider is set, but you have no static sag, then the springs too soft. Any opinion on this? I am probably larger then the rider that KTM had in mind when selecting spring rates. Also, does anyone know if the new forks have progresive springs or straight rates. I know that its a lot different than my '99, but springs made a huge difference on it, ( the '99 ) and I'd like to start out with with the ride height correct, so I can concern myself with the dampening settings, and sag. Sorry I'm so long winded. I've got that '99 dialed in perfectly and I'm a little concerned about getting the new one to do what I want it to.

IBWFO

Aug 5, 2001
I would take the advice of marcus and check out the mx-tech website.
NO company comes more highly recommended for KTM's than mx-tech.
Most of the time you calculate spring rates from your weight without gear.
Good Luck,

D

WhiPit

Mar 16, 2000
Uhh, I think I'm confused. Why would you calculate recommended spring rates without your riding gear? Personally, I've never tried riding naked, but whatever floats your boat...........

Your riding gear adds to your weight when you sit on the bike, so why not add that in the equation?

This reminds me of something funny I saw while out riding this past weekend. There was a guy with a 450 Honda and he was sitting on the bike with a tape measure and he was TRYING TO CHECK THE RIDER SAG!! He was sitting on the bike and trying to check it himself! It was pretty funny...some people just don't get it!

Anyways, check the MX-Tech articles. That should help a bunch.

;)

KTMSMITH

Jan 9, 2002
Mickromo,
I am same size as you and have set up my 03 200 exc as follows. .42 springs in front and 8.0 straight rate in back. Stock springs are too soft and you will be wallowing around in the midstroke portion of your travel. I chose these springs after I talked to mx tech. Huge difference from stock, much more plush. You will like!!

shaggy829

~SPONSOR~
May 28, 2001
mikromo
at 210lbs in full gear 42.5 front and #7 rear . set static sag(no rider) at 40mm don't worry too much about rider sag as the shock now has a massive top out spring. 110-120 mm is fine .
shaggy

IBWFO

Aug 5, 2001
Most shops that I have dealt with have a starting point of rider weight without gear. When we sent our suspension to Jeremy he didn't ask how much the rider weighed with gear, he asked how much the rider weighed (and rider ability). I'm just speculating, but I think Jer adds a basic weight for apparel?
LOL!
Maybe Jer would have an answer for this.

D

shaggy829

~SPONSOR~
May 28, 2001
for mx you can add about 10 lbs to the rider weight in street cloths .
but for off road it is best to get the total geared up weight .some people cary more or less tools and water and they weigh a lot .
shaggy

WhiPit

Mar 16, 2000
This is just my assumption, but I would think that when someone asks, "how much does the rider weigh", they mean 'suited up'. Otherwise, they'd ask, "how much does the owner of the bike weigh when he gets out of the shower".

Semantics, right?

;)

mikromo

Jul 6, 2000
Thanks, KTMSmith and all of you guys, you've been a big help. Quick question, this is my 1st set of USD forks. On my 99 I had to alter my spring preload when I went to the straight wound springs, which was achieved by modifying the length of the pre-load spacers. Is it a similar deal with the 48mm USD's, or just a straight spring swap-out? I can't wait to ride this thing, I'm picking it up tommorow, but Sunday I'm racing ol' faithful. Next week I start prepping the '03

DEANSFASTWAY

LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 16, 2002
Het mokromo . Thats a great bike a few of my pals are riding them this year and they really feel good stock , Lots of power and the suspension feels pretty well balanced. We tried the other needle (richer)around the middle clip range and it puls real good and smooth here in jersey . I wouldnt go about throwing new spring& stuff at that bike right away .Try it out and break it in first. It is firmer than the 99 was . As for springs : I dnt realluy understand why everyone wants to switch to straight rates on KTMsrear end as they dont have much progression in the shock/wheel ratio. I would call it the linkage ratio but the thing has no linkage just shock mount to wheel ratio/geometry . I am no KTM guru and may be openibng myself up to scrutinization by some of my pals like Jeremy and Marcus & others . I somewhat understand the PDS 2/3/4 ratings on the springs I hear that the PDS 2/3/4 are in one range and then the 5/6/7 are another range,some are even softer than the lower #s . Im sure Jeremy can speculate though and shed some light. Ive been informed that Race Tech has some new very progressive springs (KTM intent) in the works but they are not yet available for release.When you get that new 200 motor pulling strong you will really like it . My pal did cook the stock clutch fluid though in his first Enduro out . I think this time hes trying 2.5 fork oil(Marcus G sugested) and weel see how it works tommorowe at the Delaware National .GOOD LUCK DEAN

marcusgunby

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 9, 2000
The PDS range of springs do seem to be a bit strange-they are similar in rate but have a different cross over point and length-the main problem is consistancy-they vary alot within a spring eg a PDS2.
I liked my straight rate as it helped the steering(this was before offset triple clamps)there ar emany ways to skin a cat and i beleive its all about testing/testing/testing. I dont know anyone else who has done more with the PDS than jer-he is obsessed with it.

I have nothing against Race tech but i dont think they will have the magic pill.A new stiffer spring has been tryed by a few riders-it isnt the answer-it becomes very hard to control HSR with the stiff progressives.

IBWFO

Aug 5, 2001
All I can say is this Jeremy guy from MX-Tech can perform some "Sweet" magic to WP suspension components. I have never been more impressed with a suspension comapny,............PERIOD!

D

Top Bottom