can450

Mar 10, 2004
Hi Guy's , I am new to the site so sorry if this topic has been discussed . I have a line on a new 03 crf450 and I am wondering if I should wait for 04 to surface . Are there any noticable differances? I hear the 04's are like 3 lbs lighter ? is it noticable ? any info would be great .

cr lover

Aug 6, 2001
the 04s come stock with dunlop 756 rear tire and a new front tire from dunlop.also the 04 has renthal bars.and they are 3lbs lighter.

roosteater

~SPONSOR~
Dec 27, 1999
They also added a gripper seat cover and got rid of that sloppy clutch perch assembly. The 03 clutch lever rattles around a LOT because there's a lot of play between the lever and the perch. The 04 lever and perch is nice and tight. The front fender on the 04 is different from the 02/03. The front tire is Dunlop's new 742.

They also changed the gearing to a 14/48 for 04. I'm not sure what they did to the motor.

I just got my 04, but I haven't even started it yet. It's still too cold up here in MN.

can450

Mar 10, 2004
Thanks for the feed back , I can get this new 03 for about $900 .oo Canadian less than the 04 . Just trying to justify the $$ for an 04 .
Doesn't sound like there is a lot of extra value in an 04 unless the bike just totally feels different etc .
Is the weight difference noticable when riding ?
Is the Power delivery different ?
Thanks

roosteater

~SPONSOR~
Dec 27, 1999
I'd go for the 03. There aren't material differences. People say the 04 has a stronger motor, but I doubt it's materially different. The 03 that I rode was plenty fast.

For that savings, you could put on a nice aftermarket adjustable perch, the 04 front fender, nice bars, new tires and a complete aftermarket gripper seat and still have plenty left over for other stuff.

Top Bottom