03' TTr 225 trouble.. please help

Bar-Bender

Nov 19, 2001
Follow JD's cleaning guide and you will be fine. The dielectric grease will slow down the corrosion it does not promote conductivity between the two contact points. Your next step is to be careful when assembling the switch case. It is made of plastic and will bow outward when installing the red kill switch. Be sure to install the red switch tabs into the body of the case correctly otherwise you will not have good contact when the switch is engaged. The only real way to test this is by completely assembling the switch and installing on the handlebars. I consider cleaning this switch routine maintenance when powerwashing and riding in muddy wet conditions all the time.

jboomer

~SPONSOR~
Jan 5, 2002
Something I'm curious about -- you said that the only way you can get it to start is by jumping the contacts with a paperclip? But, with the kill switch installed it won't start? Try holding the button of the kill switch down (like you are trying to turn the bike off) and hitting the start button. I'm curious if maybe you've been putting the switch back together wrong.

IrishEKU

A General PITA.
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Apr 21, 2002
Originally posted by Bar-Bender
The kill switch is most likely causing your problem. .

I doubt that would be the problem since he was able to bump start it. The problem is steming from the starting system for sure. I wold check your regulator #8 and your starter relay #21 for shorts. Another problem that could be shorting out your starting system could be a posative ground in your starter. This happens when your power wire to the starter is in dirct contact with a ground and will drain the battery and cause your problems.

Attachments

• ttr electrical-1.jpg
    ttr electrical-1.jpg
    42.7 KB · Views: 177

Craze

Nov 25, 2002
well its morning time .. 11 am...

i did what was said and cleaned the kill switch contact points and i took an eraser and rubbed them down..

i carefully assembled it all togeter but still no go unless running the safety pin across the contact points...

this is getting a bit annoying since i know now what the problem is (kill switch contact points) and yet still no go.. ill find some fine sandpaper and see if tat helps any

jdbrusch

~SPONSOR~
Nov 11, 2001
The kill switch should be open in order for the bike to fire,to stop the engine when pressing on the kill switch it creates a ground stopping the ignition.I find it strange that the only way you can get it to fire is to connect the contacts on the kill switch.If you bump start it does the kill switch stop the motor or do you have to turn it off with the key?Like IrishEKU says ther might be a problem with the starter solenoid(relay) see if it is a sealed unit if it is not try to spray some WD40 in it ,it may have some moisture in it.

Craze

Nov 25, 2002
grrr i see what the problem is...

when i assemble the kill switch to the contact points and the whole thing together for some reason the contact point plate keeps popping up just a tad making enough distance for the switch to not touch it...

i know this for sure because when i hold the contact plate down to the kill switch points and try cranking it goes everytime but when i take pressure off the plate nothing again.... the plate is in correct though.. the two tabs are in their squares and the small arm goes into the kill switch hole..

Craze

Nov 25, 2002
heres pics of what im doing and dealing with

copy and paste the url's into address bar

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid44/p2e45bb05ac6cad2326532d8f44648b77/fcdb360a.jpg

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid44/p69ac41bada7cb64cddf3828ab42332af/fcdb3609.jpg

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid44/p50852fa861e3dc26caf7f0f47cb3e7c8/fcdb3607.jpg

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid44/p47d45c13da51d1a303cd8c0bb0894344/fcdb3606.jpg

jboomer

~SPONSOR~
Jan 5, 2002
Is there a spring or something missing that goes behind that plate you're having troubles with? Also, is that plate activated by the starter switch ---- meaning, when you press the start switch, does the plate move forward and make contact with those two prongs? You're getting there!!!

Craze

Nov 25, 2002
no those pics are of the kill/on switch... when you push the red peice down the copper plates make contact with the plates on the contact points (black plate)

yes there is a spring just below the copper plates of the kill switch and i checked it and it seems to be holding it up right...

Craze

Nov 25, 2002
yea the contact points between the kill switch copper plate and the circuit points was just really poor... i basically stretched the spring a tiny bit under the kill switch plate to give more force and sanded all the points and mounted it all again and it works great now...

thats all it was... just a stupid loose connection..

many days of work trying to find that cause

thanks for all the info though!!!!

Top Bottom