anarchy420

Jun 1, 2007
it fouled a plug on day so i replaced it and now it still wont start. :bang: the plug sparks fine, i took the bottom of the carb where the jets are, no problem there....anything else i should check out? any help will be greatly appriciated. thanks

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
Check the valve clearances and be sure they aren't too tight. You might be losing compression by the valves remaining open a fraction.

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
Do you have feeler gauges? Do you know what TDC is? Do you kmow how to line up timing marks and where they are? The best money you are going to spend will be on a Factory Honda Service Manual for that bike. It will tell you everything step by step. There is a chance that with a basic typed explination from somebody you could easily do it wrong and cause damage.

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
That would do the trick for him, thanks!

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
Nope. Get the right tool for the job or find somebody that does. They are insanely cheap and you'll need them again.

anarchy420

Jun 1, 2007
ok well i dont think its the valve clearances. because if it let the compression out then it would be easier to kick. my friend said it might be the wiring becase xr70's have a bunch of wires. more then normal bikes do

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
So if you don't have a set of wire crimpers will it "not" be the wiring either? Here's a little clue for ya. Wires go bad FAR less often than valves go out of adjustment. It's not a huge deal to make right and will increase your enjoyment.

anarchy420

Jun 1, 2007
i tore the whole thing apart yesterday. and its not the valves. we got a feeler gauge thing. the valve are fine idk what the problem is

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
Considering the way you are jumping around on your aparent abilities and/or lack of them it's hard to help ya' out. Here's a tip that should help you get accurate information and help that might get it running. Be honest and be specific in what you did/didn't do. You are asking for specific information in step by step form but you are not providing detailed descriptions of the problems or steps you have taken.

Here's a check list:
-New fuel?
-New spark plug?
-Clean air filter?
-Carb is clean and floats are properly adjusted?
-Spark from plug is good?
-Valves are properly adjusted?
-Check compression?

Bike should run if it doesn't then it's one of the above.

Rotorranch

Feb 10, 2007
anarchy420 said:
i tore the whole thing apart yesterday. and its not the valves. we got a feeler gauge thing. the valve are fine idk what the problem is

:yikes: :whoa: :(

What did you take apart? What makes you sure the valves are ok?

Do you have a manual for the bike? If not, you really need one. It's the most important tool you can have for your bike.
rtfm.gif

Rotor

anarchy420

Jun 1, 2007
-New fuel? yes
-New spark plug? yes
-Clean air filter? yes
-Carb is clean and floats are properly adjusted? yes
-Spark from plug is good? yes
-Valves are properly adjusted? yes

my dad just decided that where going to take it to his friends. his friend is a motorcycle mechanic. and rotor i do have a manual

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
anarchy420 said:
rotor i do have a manual
:think:
anarchy420 said:
how do i check the valve clearances and how open should they be??

Be sure and post back what it ended up being.

Top Bottom