mx_361

Oct 14, 2004
I just purchased an 05 RM250 and the forks and shock seem VERY stiff. The fork are deflecting and the shock is a bit all over the place. I weigh in at about 210. I tried softening the LS comp two at both ends and it helped. I tried two more and the bike got WAY unstable in braking bumps. I have not bottomed either end even in really big hits (over jumped a 85ft jump table and landed in a rain rut, wish it felt that plush in braking bumps) and the forks feel stiffer than the shock. I thought about trying more rebound damp on the shock to settle it down but the bike already seems to fly a bit front end high. Only rode it twice so I'm sure it is still breaking in a bit but any set up tips would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

bedell99

~SPONSOR~
May 3, 2000
Trust me on this. The bike will break in. But if you weigh 210, you might not have the sag set up correctly which is causing the forks to deflect. Set the sag to a 100 and it should feel better.

Erik

tko drummer

Jul 16, 2004
susp. problems on RM 250?

Did any of you read the Racer X test on the 05' 250's. :ohmy: I was planning to pick up a RM 250 this Sat. but after reading that article I am kind of questioning wether or not to go get it now. I am now kind of questioning the suspension myself! :ugg:

bclapham

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 5, 2001
ohhh gawd!!! i think after reading that review i should sell my bike too. :bang: :yikes:

i weigh 220, and i think the suspension on mine is great- i might make some adjustments to the fork, but i dont know how they can be called stiff. as for the shock, my sag was way off so it would blow through easily, set at 100mm its fine; i still bottom it when i hammer deep square edged holes.

361: grease the linkage and re torque the swinarm etc. on the fork, maybe check the tubes etc are all aligned properly.

TKO, go and get that RM, ive seen lots of people with them this and last season and they all love them.

as for mag reviews, well i am starting to wonder that they are all playing off one another.

tko drummer

Jul 16, 2004
bclapham said:
as for mag reviews, well i am starting to wonder that they are all playing off one another.
I was kindof thinking the same thing. I met a guy on the local MX track with the RM and he said that it rode pretty good and he loved the power, but he had been working on the suspension.(Then again he came off a KTM200. :laugh: )

It also looked like he had lowered the rear end a little bit.

crazyYammi

Aug 31, 2004
You really need to respring the bike... your wimpy springs are sagging and your forks in the harsh part of their stroke.

mx_361 said:
I just purchased an 05 RM250 and the forks and shock seem VERY stiff. The fork are deflecting and the shock is a bit all over the place. I weigh in at about 210. I tried softening the LS comp two at both ends and it helped. I tried two more and the bike got WAY unstable in braking bumps. I have not bottomed either end even in really big hits (over jumped a 85ft jump table and landed in a rain rut, wish it felt that plush in braking bumps) and the forks feel stiffer than the shock. I thought about trying more rebound damp on the shock to settle it down but the bike already seems to fly a bit front end high. Only rode it twice so I'm sure it is still breaking in a bit but any set up tips would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

bclapham

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 5, 2001
crazyYammi said:
You really need to respring the bike... your wimpy springs are sagging and your forks in the harsh part of their stroke.

errrr, nope. the spring rates really arent that far off.

tko drummer

Jul 16, 2004
bclapham said:
TKO, go and get that RM, ive seen lots of people with them this and last season and they all love them.
Alright. Just got back from the dealer...with my new 05 RM250. $6198 o.t.d. Hope it doesn`t rain tomorrow. :)

By the way, my wife would like to thank you. :laugh:

Top Bottom