.06" over YZ 250 1988 Jetting Way Off

Big Daddy

~SPONSOR~
Dec 10, 2002
Bought a used 1988 YZ 250. The top end rattled bad. Never rode it before I riped it apart. Rebuilt the top end and replaced the power valve. It was bored .06" over and cleared the power valve for the bigger piston by a Yamaha dealer. I can't seem to get the power strong and clean. It seem to be very rich. It sounds and runs like the choke is on, but it not. It has a PC pipe. I started with the PC jetting which is also the stock jetting. 45 pilot jet, 370 main jet, clip in 3rd slot. This is like driving with a choke on. I'm now down to the next leaner needle jet (r-2) 45 or 40 pilot jet, clip in the 1st slot and a 300 main jet. It's been running better the leaner I go. It did ping a little when I closed the thottle at 1/2. I have the float set right and a new needle and seat and choke. It's not the plug either. Running one hotter plug. 40-1 HP-2 oil 93 octane. Does boring a 250 .06" over effect the jetting alot? It aways starts on the second kick. The bike also has alot of compression. Can't kick it with sneakers(ouch!). Should the head have been recut? Could this be the problem? Had the carb off alot and can't find a problem. The reeds are with in Yamaha specs.

jmics19067

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 22, 2002
Going down from a 370 to a 300 :eek:

is the airfilter any good? Is it clean and not overoiled? is the silencer packing/perforated core in good shape. Powervalve installed/ operating properly?How about the fuel enrichment knob itself is that any good?

Those would be the first 4 questions I would ask myself. If you do see something that is a problem don't run the bike until you get back in the original jets and start over from scratch.

The fuel enrichment circuit shouldn't have that dramatic of an effect at full throttle. Sounds like something is blocking the airflow, intake or exhaust.
I have had bored out machines, never had the head matched and never having to go down 7 steps on the main. I usually went up to fight pinging.

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…