corn_bread001

Apr 3, 2008
im not talkin about the chain and sprocket but thanks
im talking about the one inside the engine of suzukis 450 that doesnt automatically adjust itself that you have to manually adjust

IndyMX

Crash Test Dummy
~SPONSOR~
Jul 18, 2006
Amo, IN
Ooops.. sorry. just read that.. I must have been asleep when I read that.

I'm guessing you take the cap off the side of the adjuster, so that you can access the screw under it.

I'm only guessing, because I don't have a service manual for an RMZ450, but the pictures on bikebandit.com show a large spring inside and a screw holding that presses against the push rod.. Bikebandit calls that screw "9: BOLT,ADJUST"...

I'd imagine that if you loosen that screw, it causes the spring to apply more tension to the pushrod..

Of course I could be totally wrong.

http://www.bikebandit.com/2006-suzuki-motorcycle-rm-z450/o/m9768

click on Cam Chain and you'll see what I'm looking at.

Perhaps someone with more knowledge about the RMZ will enlighten us..

IndyMX

Crash Test Dummy
~SPONSOR~
Jul 18, 2006
Amo, IN
What's the worst that can happen??

Just that it would be too loose and your bike could blow up..

If I were you, I'd get a service manual ASAP.

Chili

Lifetime Sponsor - Photog Moderator
Apr 9, 2002
Indy is not totally wrong and I'm not sure why you'd come looking for assistance and make a comment like that to the one guy trying to help.

Start with a clean bike and then remove the tank, seat, spark plug cap and valve cover. Make sure the bike is at TDC on the compression stroke.

Break the 12mm lock nut loose then use a 4mm Allen wrench to loosen the tensioner adjusting screw. The tensioner is spring loaded and will automatically set to the proper tension when you loosen off the adjusting screw. Once set retighten the allen screw and the lock nut.

Put the bike back together.

IndyMX

Crash Test Dummy
~SPONSOR~
Jul 18, 2006
Amo, IN
Chili said:
Indy is not totally wrong and I'm not sure why you'd come looking for assistance and make a comment like that to the one guy trying to help.

It's ok Chili.. At first I misread his post and thought he was talking about the drive chain..

I've never messed with an RMZ timing chain, so I was just guessing.

corn_bread001

Apr 3, 2008
i wasnt tryin to be an ass if it came out there sorry bout that but thanks for the help finally able to ride again after a 6month recovery froma broken leg :bang: and gettin this bike runnning right would be nice lol thanks again

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom