RIDING ROB

Jun 3, 2003
My 11 yr old is not big enough for the 80s or 85s and seem a little too big for the 60.

We have never been to a mx track, but was thinking of going. I guess my question is: Is he too old to race the 60?

I think were going to a track tomorrow for practice day. I hope we can stay out of everybodys way.

stu182

~SPONSOR~
Dec 11, 1999
Just depends on the district. In dist. 11 we have a 7-11 65cc class. 65cc bikes are just a little bigger that the kx -60. You may want to try a 80cc you will be surprised how fast the get used to them.

FMFHonda161

Jul 11, 2002
At our local track, my little brother races the 7-11 65 class on his kx 60. He is the only one on a 60, but back to the point, the top 3 guys are 13 years old. All three of them. Their parents are taching them the morals to lie so they can have a walk in the park for sponsorship. By meeting these kids you would know that their parents do this. You don't want to end up teaching your kid bad morals... so if the age limit is 11, just get an 85, and shave the seat and soften the suspension. I did that and i was 11 years old, and it worked great.

Jasle

Sponsoring Member
Nov 27, 2001
Pretty much all places have a a 7-11 65cc class so you'd be ok. The 11 year olds always look too big for the bikes though. Which 85's have you tried? You can get a bigwheel version and a small wheel version. Also find a couple of year old 80 and they are smaller a bit. Shaving the seat might be illegal in racing rules, especially if you race AMA.
And as FMFHonda pointed out there are some kids over 11 racing in the class. I run in to that problem with one of my kids birthday. For example if a kid turns 12 on Jan 2nd in AMA rules they would race the 11 year old class all year. This is not cheating it is racing within the rules. Now if I were 100% certain they were breaking the age limit rule then I'd simply "put up or shut up" Basically I'd pay the protest fee and get them DQ'ed. If your right pretty much all organizations will give back your protest money. The only way you lose it is if you are wrong. But by doing this you are letting everyone know that you do not accept cheating and that they are open to protest. This is much more effective than complaining openly about their cheating and not doing anything about it. By simply sitting by and watching this happen you are condoning it.

If it were me I'd put him on an 80 or 85 and just use blocks to start. Also look in to lowering links for the suspension. We use one for a KX65. berg racing makes them for the 60. His can also raise the suspension.

RIDING ROB

Jun 3, 2003
Thanks guys. His birthday is in april. The little 60 will have to do till then.(or maybe x-mass) The 60 was ment to be a learning bike anyway and I got a REAL good deal on it. He picked that clutch up quick.

Top Bottom