125 leaking fuel from float bowl.

Optik

Mod Ban
Dec 27, 2001
The bike is an older 86 rm 125. When the fuel petcock is turned on the fuel leaks from the carb float bowl. It pours straight through quite fast too. When the petcock is turned to reserve it wasn't leaking at all. However, when I rode up a hill it would die at the top. I rolled it down the hill and bomb started it and tried this again several times and on different hills. It always died at the top of the hill when it leveled out again. The bike will run for 1/2 minute or so on flat ground before it dies.

My guess is the float level is wrong but I have no idea what to set it to because this bike is so old. Anyone else have any ideas?

David Trustrum

~SPONSOR~
Jan 25, 2001
Take the carb apart & while you are at it blow through the pilot & mainjet. Pull the (brass) floatjet out, removing the floatpin, float & float-needle first. Chances are the needle is worn but maybe there is some garbage behind the jet so you have to take it out. If you find garbage empty the tank & clean any filters.

Use your brain when tapping anything on a carb & support the pillars etc before you tap.

Check to see the float doesn’t leak (shake & listen).
Don’t get too hung up on levels, bend the tag & try. You can test it with your finger & the fuel line reconnected & light pressure.

If the needle is worn & you are too tight to buy a new one ;) you could try the following. Carefully drill the jet a bit bigger so the needle seats further up on an un-worn section. Don’t blame me if you mess this up, remember drill from inside. The hole will need to be redressed so drop a small ball bearing down the jet hole & tap it with a punch. This by itself may help. With a bigger hole the float tag will need to be bent up a bit to compensate for the jet having to be higher to seal the hole

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…