GreenBike

Jul 25, 2014
Hello Everyone,
I have just joined,and this is my first post..
I'm looking for help to solve this problem with my 02 kdx 220...I'll try to describe it the best I can. Keep in mind that I am not a mechanic but I am somewhat mechanically inclined.This bike is new to me a couple of years ago but have only ridden it a handful of times.
Here's the problem..While sitting on the bike at idle I noticed that when I turn the bars left to right a few times in a row ( shaking the bars left then right ) the idle slowly drops off to the point where the motor dies.If I stop shaking the bars the motor will pick up again and idle normally
When I lean the bike over to either side it will also slowly die out,if I jounce the suspension while sitting on the bike at an idle ,the motor will slowly drop off and die ; but as soon as I stop, it picks up and idles normally again ?
Things I've checked...looked for a electrical issue at the kill switch,checked connection under seat,looking for chafed,cracked or broken wires ( found nothing ) removed carb checked float height ( within spec's) soaked and blew out carb ( thoroughly cleaned it )set float height , Checked fuel tank,petcock,cap and vent all seemed to be fine ? No crap in the tank petcock screens are clean...Yet I still has the same problem...?
Could it be something more
internal ....? Any help or idea's would be appreciated... Thanks

truespode

Moderator / Wheelie King
Jun 30, 1999
I would have thought the float height was off but since you checked that I would also check the throttle cable and slide to see if it is sticking.

If the slide is sticking and keeping things open it can cause a jetting issue and when you jostle things the slide then changes the steady state.

I am not a mechanic and this is just something I would check. I did have slide issues on my 93 yz/wr 250 but it didn't die out like yours.

Another thing to check is your reeds. If they are cracked or need to be replaced it can do funky things as well.

Ivan

BSWIFT

Sponsoring Member
N. Texas SP
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 25, 1999
Check the routing of the throttle cable. Lubricate the cable and clean the slide. Also check that your throttle tube isn't jammed up on the bars.

GreenBike

Jul 25, 2014
Thanks Guy's
The throttle cable and slide seem to be fine and operating properly ,not sticking ..I have taken a quick look at the reeds when this problem first started and they seemed okay,maybe I need to look a little closer..I am really at a loss as to what the problem could be ..actually thinking of selling it ( not really )
The bike runs great when I'm on the gas tearing down an old fire road but as soon as I get into the woods riding some single tracks it seems to die if i'm not continually working the clutch and throttle...makes it very difficult to ride ..kind of taking the fun out of it

Top Bottom