DSelect

Apr 15, 2006
I have just moved to North Carolina and i am looking to get back in to ridding. I'm 27 years old and 180lbs what size bike would be better to haul me around woods and trails. The last time i was on a bike was like 14 years ago. i have been looking around for a used bike (99-03) for a few months and have found many 125s and few 250s, but not many trail bike (XRs,WRs,KDXs) I just want to know which MX bike is going to be more woods/trail friendly with the fewest amount of mods. Or should i just hold out for a Trail bike? I also have read that putting on a flywheel weigh smooths out the powerband hit would this be a good thing to do to an MX bike for woods/trails?

ComradeMikhail

Mi. Trail Riders
May 2, 2005
To change the gearing, you have to take the engine off the frame and split the cases. For a 2 stroke it can probably be done in a day. It's not that hard, you just gotta be sure not to lose parts and remember how things go back together (or just get a service manual). Another good thing about splitting the cases and going all the way down to your tranny is that you really get to know your motor and how it works, and also can spot other problems that need to be replaced at the same time.

About the original question, I say 250. I rode a 2004 CR125 and my 1995 YZ250 in the woods and it's hands down the 250. The 125 sucked in the woods. It seemed like it was either you didn't have power or you had it all. The 250 offers more controllable, usable power for the woods.

Masterphil

DRN's Resident Lunatic
Aug 3, 2004
If you're going to ride in the woods, take a hard long lood at KDX 200/220. If you want to race in the woods, take a hard long look at the KTM EXC line. All of the above bikes are woods weapons, although the KDX's are more "trail rider" bikes VS "woods race" bikes. The KDX and KTM EXC bikes are all ride ratio tranny bikes and will flat kill a MX bike on a stock vs stock basis.

But, if you must get a MX bike, go with the 250. That's probably a pretty good deal on the 250SX, but it's motor/suspension IS NOT anywhere near optimised to the woods.

endurotuff

Nov 8, 2004
250 for a novice?? I don't know but I started "learning" on a Gas Gas 300 EC and it was way too much. I would think Mr. Long is right on choosing a 200

SpDyKen

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 27, 2005
I ride my '03 yz125 almost exclusively in the woods. Stock, except for barkbusters, cut handlebars, flywheel weight, 51 tooth rear sprocket (st. 49) and a new Dunlop rear tire. I weigh 235; could probably use a stiffer rear spring. I have no problem keeping up with any BIKE; better RIDERS can leave me behind, however.

DSelect

Apr 15, 2006
2003 Xr 250

How about a 2003 XR 250 for 2300.00. does this sound like it would work for me. Does anyone have this bike?

AXE_1967

Mar 31, 2006
When I rode trail I rode a KX125. I started off on a XR200.
All my friends had 2 stroke 250" and were constanly clutching and clearing the carb, I was able to stay in the powerband more on the kx125 and was manouvering the trails better than the big bikes. I wieghed about 185 then and the 125 toted me good. I'd go 4 stroke or a 125 2strke.

agitt73

~SPONSOR~
May 11, 2000
if you want an mx geared bike a ktm mxc or xc as they call it now in a 200 would be a good choice

chevy383cid

Aug 26, 2005
The XR you are thinking about is a very good bike with decent power,It is a good TRAIL bike( riding the trail and injoying it) But if you want to TAME the trail as if you were at the track,nothing less that a 250 smoker will do!!

DSelect

Apr 15, 2006
thinking maybe 4 stroke now

I have been thinking about what bike to get for a few months now. For a long time i was pretty sure that i would go 2 stroke. I have read to many bad things about the 4 stokes ( in the ways of maintenance and being hard to start if you stall). Now does this mainly apply to the MX 4 stokes and not the trail 4s? ( XR, WR, etc ). How bad is the maintenance on the trail 4s? I really like the look of the XR 250 and the one big thing that making me lean away for the 2 stroke now is the sound, i don't have a lot of space around the house to ride. There is a large field behind my house, but it's also behind like 7 of my neighbors and i don't want to piss them off with all the noise. Some people around here have ATVs and they go up and down the street and you can barely hear them. I don't want to be the one that fs it up for everyone.

Also do you guys think that i should even go look at the 03 XR 250, or would it be like way to under powered for my size (5'9" 180)? It's not like i need to rip around the woods and trails like i'm racing. I just want something thats not so small that itl bogs on small hills, I just want something to keep up with my friends on the ATVs. I was thinking that even if it's on the small side that it will be something easy for me to get my feet wet again. I've been out of riding for along time. And if it is i could alway move up. So what do you think? thanks

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom