redrider100

Aug 17, 2003
1) I am 5'4" and i weight 138
2) I am a physically active person, i ride BMX and i weightlift. I am a pretty aggressive rider but i know when to hold back
3) I plan to ride mostly MX but i ride a fair amount of trails
4) I have 6 years riding experience, for the past year i have been riding a 2002 KX100
5) I don't really plan to race unless i know i can win :laugh:
6) I am mechanically inclined and i have done a fair amount of work on my KX100 and i have also worked on four strokes.
7) Im definitely set on a 2-stroke
8) I have many dealers near where i live
9) I plan to spend about 3800 on a used bike
10) I have about 1 1/2 years of seat time on my KX100 and im starting to feel a little too big for it physically and power wise. I'm at the point where i feel comfortable holding the throttle wide open in 4th gear. I want to stick with two strokes mainly because they are less costly to maintain and I like the "hit" of a two stroke engine :laugh: . The closest riding areas are state parks and since I live in California I want the bike to be green sticker. I've been thinking about upsizing to a 125 but power wise i don't think it will be a big difference compared to my bike. I've also looked at 250 two strokes but that is a huge power jump from a KX100 :yikes:. Im kinda stuck on what to move to next. Any help would be great. thanks in advance.

Last edited:

ChopperDave

It's been awhile...
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 1, 2004
The 125 mx'ers are going to be vastly more powerful than your 100. A 250 w/flywheel weight might be just the ticket for you. But you will not be dissapointed, power wise, with say a YZ125. Some might say a 250 is alittle easier to ride as the powerband hit is not so violent as 125 can be. IMHO.

Gotta love a 2-smoker! :laugh: (I need one myself)

bikepilot

Nov 12, 2004
I'v spent a lot of time on a KX100, several 125's and 250's. The 125 will feel a lot like your 100, but will pull a little stronger and have a much more stable chassie and better suspension. I don't know anything about green stickers. A 125 makes its power in a very similar way to the 100, revs high and quick with a fun hit in the mid-top. A 250 is much different, it will make decent power down low, great power in the mid-range and sign off early compared to a small bore. Fun, but very different. I think you would really like the 125, its the best way to get used to a full size bike. Unless you are riding sand dunes, you are not likely to need any more power than a 125 will make. Lastly, riding a small bore teaches you to be a much better rider as you will learn to keep the engine in the sweet spot, keep up momentum etc, where as a 250 will tend to make you lazy if you transistion too early.

good luck and have fun:)

83MX80

Feb 21, 2005
your worried about going from a KX100 to a 125 or 250? wow, im going from a MX80 that i had just over 3 years ago to a 250-300 4 stroke. im looking at a KLX300.... for cheap.

Amber Farris

Mar 14, 2003
I went from a KX100 to my KTM 200 MXC. I didn't find the power increase a problem, it actually make things somewhat easier on the trails. If you feel good on the 100, a 125 should be no problem.

Top Bottom