12x52 sprocket combo - How many chain links?

pdiddy

Mar 5, 2004
Ordering new sprockets and chain for my 02 200. Going 12x52 and also ordering a FRP chain guide. How many links do I need on the chain? 112? 114?

sr5bidder

Oct 27, 2008
I normally just get a 520/120 link and use my dremel to make my chain its the easiest way in my mind..

some post have led to concern of lower chain block wear with the 52 rear and the 12 in the front certainly wont help the front chain glide (you may want to check the lower front of the swing arm chain glide) here is a link to replacement chain glides

http://www.hotfootmoto.com/Site_2/Kawasaki_Sliders.html

what is the reason for such radical gearing..? is your bike running right?
..I was happy at 13/50 then went to 14/48 and settled at 13/48.

I just think you are going to be shifting alot and spinning your tire.

sr5bidder

Oct 27, 2008
rmatv has the aluminum rear sprockets for 16.99 I opted for the primary drive steel for 19.95 they have fast shipping and good service

pdiddy

Mar 5, 2004
sr5bidder said:
I normally just get a 520/120 link and use my dremel to make my chain its the easiest way in my mind..

some post have led to concern of lower chain block wear with the 52 rear and the 12 in the front certainly wont help the front chain glide (you may want to check the lower front of the swing arm chain glide) here is a link to replacement chain glides

http://www.hotfootmoto.com/Site_2/Kawasaki_Sliders.html

what is the reason for such radical gearing..? is your bike running right?
..I was happy at 13/50 then went to 14/48 and settled at 13/48.

I just think you are going to be shifting alot and spinning your tire.

I ride a lot of tight, technical single track, its rare for me to even hit 4th gear. So, I am gearing down. I have been running a 12 tooth front sprocket for 5 years already without any issues. I am also ordering a new chain guide.

The bike is running great and I am confident in my gearing choice just need to figure out number of chain links :cool:

domino dave

Sep 24, 2003
I run 13/49 on my "E" model. I can use 110 or 112 link , but that info is no good to help you. I bought my sprockets and chain (X-ring)from Fredette and he knew what chain links I would need to match my sprockets ... Give him a call? I now have my own chain breaker. Think I got it pretty cheap at Cycle Gear ... Hope this helps. Dave

SS109

Jul 27, 2009
Wow, 12/52! :whoa:

I run 13/48 and use only 2nd and 3rd gears for just about all that I ride. 1st is pretty much useless if the bike is moving at all. Not trying to question your choice of gearing but I couldn't imagine running that gearing. It would play hell on me where I ride. It is all tight technical stuff along with lots of sand and steep rocky hills. I have even thought about going to either a 13/47 rear or 14/48 just to make 1st somewhat useable. Probably not though.

To each their own I guess! :cool:

sr5bidder

Oct 27, 2008
right on ss109 thats what I was thinking I ride tight 2nd-3rd stuff and can start out in 2nd if I get lazy, maybe restless leg syndrom urges him to shift

pddidy do you have a winch retrofit onto your back rim to serve climbimg cliffs?

to each their own I'll leave it be

pdiddy

Mar 5, 2004
sr5bidder said:
pddidy do you have a winch retrofit onto your back rim to serve climbimg cliffs?

Ha, that actually did make me laugh :nener:

To each their own is right, as long as we enjoy our time in the woods and don't do any harm to the sport. :nod:

Top Bottom