wanaride

~SPONSOR~
Jul 18, 2003
I tried the search function but I didn't see any posts that screamed "I'm the answer to your question", so...

(Maybe this should go in the FAQ??? :think: )

I'm a beginner woods rider. Practically everything I ride is rocky uphill/downhill sections and single track. I MIGHT get into 4th gear on straightaways once in a while, but most of my riding is 2nd & 3rd gear. My current gearing is 12/47 with the stock chain (got 500 miles out of it so I'm doing ok). My chain needs to be replaced, so I figured this is a good time to think about the sprockets too.

Without rehashing the epic debate about whether or not a smaller CS sprocket stresses the chain (sorry, I didn't have the time to crawl through all of that one! :laugh: )...

What is "better" for the type of riding I do, 12/47 or 13/50? (CC, I realize "better" is relative, I'm just looking for recommendations.) If 13/50 is the way to go, how many links should I get for the new chain? (Isn't stock 108?)

I have read that an O-ring chain will require the chain guide to be widened, but will the 50T rear sprocket "fit" with my stock chain guide?

I have read that aluminum sprockets wear faster than steel, but are there any other issues I should be aware of?

Thanks for your help! :cool:

Last edited:

rbernie

Jun 22, 2004
I seem to ride in very similar conditions to that which you've described. Without addressing the 'better' aspect of the gearing question - I just did a 13/50 install and the stock chain guide was too close/high to the rear sprocket for my comfort. I replaced it with a Fredette unit, and for my limited use so far it's worked well. I'd actually consider gettin a 51-tooth rear sprocket the next time I do this - 13/51 is closer to a 12/47 than a 13/50...

The stock chain is a 108-link, which will be too short for 13/50 or 13/51. A 13/50 setup with a 110-link chain will likely start life on adjuster slot #5 - I would expect that 110 links would also be OK for a 51-tooth rear sprocket, if you decide to go that route.

I am running a non-o-ring chain, since I just could not see the benefit in using an o-ring chain for my uses (weekend riding at a local motocross/ATV park). I just don't ride long enuf between cleanings/lubes to really worry about the chain drying out - YMMV.

HTH.

Nice Guy Eddie

Uhhh...
Jun 30, 2004
I run 12-47... it's cheaper.. the bigger you go with the rear sprocket the more you pay.... and it fits!!... and it uses a standard 108 chain!!... although, on my bike, it starts me in the 5 1/2 position :( ... (not to but in and steal your show but, should/could I remove a link?)

I use an EK low end O-ring chain and it fits my guide just barely... I looked and I don't think my guide is modified.... I was told you can just space it with washers to widen it if your particular O-ring doesn't fit...

oh, and I ride tight twisty trails with as many roots and rocks and stuff as I can find.... which is a lot... I might even consider going lower next time I buy (which won't be soon because I just set up another 12-47 combo.. I like it)

bcVulcan

Nov 13, 2002
Can't blame you for wanting to save some money. I went with the 13/50 since I already had the FRP chain guide. I seem to really wear out chains fast so I thought it would help if I stayed with the 13 on the front. Hill climbs have always been my weekest point before switching to the 50t rear. It made a HUGE difference in my hill climbing performance. I can finally climb with those darn four stroke guys.

wanaride

~SPONSOR~
Jul 18, 2003
OK, you've got me thinking again...

The place I do the most riding has lots of big uphill sections. Will a 13/50 provide a significant advantage over 12/47 for this type of riding? 12/47 was a noticeable improvement over 13/47 (stock)...sounds like I should bite the bullet and get the FRP chain guide and plan for 13/50?

Please note that you have a 220 and I have a 200, and I believe that your bike has a significant torque advantage to start with...

skierjet

Dec 23, 2003
FYI - I run a 13 / 49 and it's absolutely perfect for most situations with my 94KDX200 (air box, FMF Fatty / Turbine Core II, Boyson Reeds, Wiseco Piston) The bike really rips. No need to change the stock chain guide, but you may need to go with the one size larger chain and take out a link. Good Luck - JET

jirvine

Oct 21, 2001
I have a 13/50, pc pipe, no airbox lid, and just bought a 12 to put on as I was rarely winding out top gear, I'll test ride tomorrow.

FZRRkid

Jun 27, 2004
i run 13/52 on a 1980 KDX175, i only use steel sprockes cuz they last 10 times as long as alum. its light for racing but in off road u need stuff that lasts. dont know is thats any help to you, altho i know i left a my girlfriends bother ride my bike and he did realy good crawling in 1st gear on it kinda like a 4 stroke so it should be good for off road i think.

aaron

23jayhawk

Sponsoring Member
Apr 30, 2002
wanaride said:
Will a 13/50 provide a significant advantage over 12/47 for this type of riding?

note 12/47 = 3.92 reduction; 13/50 = 3.85; stock 13/47 = 3.62

At some point lower gearing can tighten up your gear spacing enough that you find yourself shifting quite a bit more.

G. Gearloose

Pigment of ur imagination
Jul 24, 2000
bcVulcan said:
I've never ridden a 200 but I wonder if you could run a 12/50. Anybody ever heard of this?

Not useful unless your in mountain goat territory.

You'll be busy rowing gears thinking your going fast then some medium sized thumper will BLAAT right by you, like a 428CJ wasting a riced-out Civic.

prk03

~SPONSOR~
Jun 24, 2002
I replaced the stock with 13/49 sunstar steel and x -ring RK chain. Probably now about 25 enduros and 500 miles of play riding. I have never adjusted the chain. Never had a problem. There is very little wear if any. I do take very good care of the chain by cleaning after every ride and using quality lube.KDX200 2001

jirvine

Oct 21, 2001
Well I mounted the 12 to go with my 50 and took it for a spin. Do have to work the gearbox but it moves out and like to lift the wheel even easier. Only problem is the the circlip must have been a little bent and it disappeared in the desert. Noticed I was bleeding juice so turned around and put it away. Do I likely need a new seal or would losing the clip allowing the sprocket to move away some and the leaking will be gone when I reinstall the clip?

billc

Mar 13, 2004
I have the 13/50 sprocket set.Yes the stock chain guide is a little short but not too bad.I'm going to use mine until it wears out and then buy an aftermarket one.
Don't gear your bike too low.As some of the others have said,if it's geared too low you'll be shifting all the time like a 125.

jirvine

Oct 21, 2001
I answered my own question about whether I needed a new seal or not. Put a new circlip on, made sure it was seated, drove around a bit, no leaks. I'll do more testing later this week with the 12/50 to see if I like it or need to lower the ratio (numerically)

skagracer

Jul 16, 2004
hi well i ride the same as you I ride the rockies tree runs skag etc 3500 ft and up i.v got a 03 220 with a o ring chain 13 50 so it fits and no you don,t have to cute your guide and o ring is the only chain to run in the bush . stock is ( 13/47 3.61 )( 12/47 3.91 ) (13/50 3.84 ) ( 13/51 3.92 ) yes a 50 will fit so will a 51 13 t is better then a 12t less shock load and longer life chain lenght from stock to run a 50t is 110 but buy a 120 and cut to fit. steal is better for longer life it as weight but the minor

jirvine

Oct 21, 2001
Had a chance to give my 12/50 combo a good test and I really like it I ride gravelly desert with an assortment of rocks and play hard but am not all that fast. Got to shift quick in 1st and 2nd but it's always got ready power.

89kdx200rdr

~SPONSOR~
Apr 19, 2003
i run a 13/50 with non o-ring chain, its about perfect for the tight hilly stuff around here.
i did try 12/50 since i had the 12 front from previously running 12/47 and 12/50 was too low for me. in fact i took my 13 with me and rode back to the truck and put it back on that day.

89kdx200rdr

~SPONSOR~
Apr 19, 2003
hey koz i am now running 13/48 on my kx250f (stock) i got a 12 front for it but i also go a powernow for it and i dont think im even going to put the 12 on now dont need it. i am gradually starting to like 4 strokes

Top Bottom