matte1014

Sep 2, 2006
CRF/TTR230 or CRF150?

Hi. I am a new rider looking to buy a bike soon and don't know where to start. I like the CRF150, CRF230, and TTR230. I will be doing trail riding mostly.. I'm growing pretty fast so I dont want a bike that I will grow out of in 6 months. I figure I should start look for a 4 stroke trail bike but some people say to go with a 2 stroke.. What is your opinion on the bike I should get?

Last edited:

matte1014

Sep 2, 2006
1) your physical size (both height and weight are important) 5'4 125 pounds

2) How physical / aggressive are you ? big hills a few jumps

3) what do you plan to ride- MX/SX tracks, woods, fields with friends or ? mx track(mess around), woods, trails

4) Do you have any riding experience?previously owned ttr90

5) Do you think you will race ?no

6) Are you mechanically inclined and will you be doing your own bike work? yes I would do my own work

7) Do YOU have a preferance to a brand/ motor choice (2 or 4 stroke)? i dont know which is more reliable and less up keep.. my opinion is 4 stroke

8) Do you have a dealer close by your home that you might use and what brand(s) does he carry?honda yamaha kawasaki and suzuki ktm

9) How much do you plan to spend on a bike?a reasonable amount.. probably buying a year or two old but excellent condition

10) anything else that you think would help form an opinion?

matte1014

Sep 2, 2006
thanks. if i settle for a trail bike the crf230 is the one but i just found out that the big trail around here might be closing and i don't know of too many other big trails to ride.. i know of plenty motocross tracks though so i am having second thoughts whether to get a 2 or a 4 stroke.. i have always owned 4's and never had to worry about top end rebuilds and other 2 stroke maintenance.. not to say i wouldnt get used to them but if i did get a two stroke which would fit me.. i looked around at CR85RE, YZ85, or kawasaki's KX85 or KX100.. which 2 stroke bike would fit my needs to have fun around tracks but do some offroad riding too

Poptart

Aug 3, 2006
well, if your getting a 230 4t, id say yamaha. they make a good 230. and the yz85 is the same seat height, just softer suspension. nothing a little adjusting can't fix. but the power on the 85 is probly too much for you. i think a 230 would be awesome. just choose a color. but i reccomend yamaha.

Jun 5, 2006
no small bore 2 stroke will be great on trails, although it's certainly doable. i ride my kx 125 on trails all the time. If you're going to be riding track more though then you should definitely get a racing 2stroke. if you're going to be growing a lot, i'd wait a bit until you're tall enough to get either a 2504stroke (racing) or a 1252stroke. while a kx100 or cr85e might fit you good now, in 6monthes-1year you'll be wanting more. i'm 14, was 5'6" (now 5'8") and 110 pounds and got my kx125 3 1/2 monthes ago.

Poptart

Aug 3, 2006
Xtremesports445 said:
no small bore 2 stroke will be great on trails, although it's certainly doable. i ride my kx 125 on trails all the time. If you're going to be riding track more though then you should definitely get a racing 2stroke. if you're going to be growing a lot, i'd wait a bit until you're tall enough to get either a 2504stroke (racing) or a 1252stroke. while a kx100 or cr85e might fit you good now, in 6monthes-1year you'll be wanting more.
the seat height on the cr85 expert, the kx100, the rm85l, and the yz85 is the same. its just the soft suspention. and if you say he'll get bored on an 85, the 230 will be like sitting inside on a rainy day playing chess with your grandma!

Top Bottom