mprest4

Nov 14, 2001
95 kdx200 - 47 tooth rear - currently running 13 tooth front.

i am trying to get more speed so i have to shift less on a 70's style mx track - no jumps - just lots of corners and slight elevation changes - i keep getting passed on the straights by the 250s

anyone know if the 14 tooth will fit right on with my standard length chain and 47 tooth rear.

also, has anyone tried a 14 front sprocket that would like to comment on performance

Lew

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Aug 27, 2001
I don't ride mx tracks, but would say that a 14t cs sprocket is to big. the 200 is already lacking in low end in stock form and a larger cs sprocket will only make it worse. What other mods does your bike have? I would think that a pipe, airbox lid toss, proper jetting, correct springs, and set race sag would let you stay with the others for the most part. Also toss the stock front tire and get somthin with some bite so you can hammer into the corners (I prefer the dunlop 756 f&r). My 220 performs very well in hare scrambles, I am currently running 13/47.
Lew

Last edited:

mlhend1

Apr 17, 2002
I do alot of woods riding in wv, nc. pa & sc. I found a 12 tooth front sprocket gives me alot more low end and quick Accleration. I have raced in Hare scrabbles with this setup and found I would more fully use my top gears 4th & 5th. I also found the range of 3rd gear ratio to be well suited for tight turns to hill climbs. Since then, :eek: I have changed to FMF fatty pipe, removed lid, power reeds, moose spacer rings, etc. to increase low end, have tried going back to 13tooth and still find 12 tooth to be much better. With my riding style, I rarely need the extra top speed of 13 tooth.

canyncarvr

~SPONSOR~
Oct 14, 1999
Can't imagine why you'd want more CS tooths on an mx track.

Actually, less teeth (like a 12) may allow you to be in a higher gear than the 13, so you'd save yourself a shift. Which is what mlhend said....

AND better keep up with a 250.

Of course, the 250 will still wax you. Nothing you do is going to change that.

Don't suppose you spend alot of time in 5/6 on the track. I think adding teeth on the CS is the wrong way to go.

And you CAN put a 12T on a 108 (stock) link chain...as long as it's not worn out to start with (already @ 7.5 on the adjuster snails).

mprest4

Nov 14, 2001
well i put it on anyway and rode it around on a very muddy track - it's a 70's style track so no real jumps. i liked it alot - didn't feel like i had to shift as much and it definitely is faster than it was. wouldn't want it for climbing hills though. thanks for your comments.

Top Bottom