Robcolo

Jan 28, 2002
If you're never going to be more than 100 or 200 yards from your truck [like at a MX track] a 19 is fine. They're a complete disaster for trail riding though - -endless rim cuts, even with XHD tubes. In fact, our group won't even ride with a guy if he's got a 19" on the rear - - we like to ride, not fix flats.

VaKDX200

Aug 4, 2003
Originally posted by Robcolo
If you're never going to be more than 100 or 200 yards from your truck [like at a MX track] a 19 is fine. They're a complete disaster for trail riding though - -endless rim cuts, even with XHD tubes. In fact, our group won't even ride with a guy if he's got a 19" on the rear - - we like to ride, not fix flats.

I prefer riding, think that I will stick with the 18" rim then. But do youknow what the biggest knobby tire is that will fit in the standard swingarm?

Matt90GT

May 3, 2002
Originally posted by Robcolo

That is a big bunch of sheot I have ever heard! Endless rim cuts? Lets see for the same profile tire on a 19" rim vs the 18". you have less sidewall. Thus less sidewall area to cut. The 18" has a taller sidewall.

I have ridden 18 and 19s trail ridding. no real difference. The 19s are a bit stiffer and give you better cornering. But flats, cuts, etc is all about tire choices! My friend as a 18, I have a 19 with previous 18s. No issues using the same 6001 maxxis tires. Again, all tire choice

john stu

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 7, 2002
i agree you will most likely get less pinch flats with the 18" especialy if you don't check your air before you ride to make sure its not low, but if you make sure you have enough air the 19" is fine for trail riding i trail ride all the time as whell as moto and i am still on the stock tube from 1 1/2 years ago and my last 4 bikes seince 95 have all had the 19" with no flat isues i cant remember the last time i had a flat it must have been at least 7-8 years ago and i ride about twice a week but then again if i see a pointy rock ahead if possable i will go around it rather than just slam into it.i don't think that 19" wheels are any problums when riding woods if proper pressure is maintained but if i was riding only woods i would keep the 18" seince it has better absorbtion for bumps and it will get less pinch flats because of the bigger sidewall but but even so that doesn't meen that you will necessarily have problums with the 19" it is just plain silly to state you will get constant flats if you switch to a 19" i think maybe robcolo and his friends might be scared to ride with people with 19" rims because thats meens they probably are on moto bikes and they are afraid they won't be able to keep up with them on there kdx's or xr's not because of flats after all if someone else gets a flat they go home, and the rest of the group continues riding let them run what ever they want it woun't give me a flat if you run an 19" so what do i care.

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom