e95clipse

Mar 28, 2007
well i just pick my self up a 79 rm 125...for 25$ how awsome is that....the only problem is that it wont stay running once the bike is started....what i want to know seeing how i really dont know anything about older bikes.... whats the red switch on the left side handel bar......coke run kill?....also is there a choke on the carb because i cant find one any help would be sweet

TimberPig

Jan 19, 2006
e95clipse said:
well i just pick my self up a 79 rm 125...for 25$ how awsome is that....the only problem is that it wont stay running once the bike is started....what i want to know seeing how i really dont know anything about older bikes.... whats the red switch on the left side handel bar......coke run kill?....also is there a choke on the carb because i cant find one any help would be sweet

Assuming it is the same switch my 78 RM 100 had, the centre position is run, and either side is stop.

The choke is on the carb. Left hand side, has a small brass shaft sticking up, and a black knob that fits onto it. Sometimes the black knob has been lost, leaving only the shaft there.

Red Ryder

Mar 14, 2007
Clean the fuel filter. If it is dirty then the fuel would not flow fast enough to keep it going. Might be a good adea to just replace it, probably is old anyway.

e95clipse

Mar 28, 2007
ok well i can get it running but the problem im having is that the carb is flooding out..... i started it up took it for a little spin and i noticed that gas is comming out of the over flow part of the carb.... the bottom hole..... i took the carb appart..it looks like one of the floats is some how pushed in..could this make the gas leak out like that

Red Ryder

Mar 14, 2007
You should start by adjusting it back to the proper position. Then, with the bowl taken off, hold the carb evenly sideways and so the float hinge side is at the top. Then look at the floats to see if they are perallel the the sealing serface of the carb. If they are not perfectly perallel then bend the little piece of metal that the fuel valve is attatched to until the floats are aligned properly.

R&R

Racesmith

Nov 15, 2006
25$!!!! What a deal...I paid close to 1000.00 dollars for mine back in 1980. I sure had alot of fun on it. It seems that I remember mine having the PEI ignition, and the kill switch was just a button on the left. I don't remember the stop run stop switch, but I am getting old.

rmc_olderthandirt

~SPONSOR~
Apr 18, 2006
e95clipse said:
i noticed that gas is comming out of the over flow part of the carb.... the bottom hole..... i took the carb appart..it looks like one of the floats is some how pushed in..could this make the gas leak out like that

I am not sure what you mean by "pushed in". If the float is in any way damaged then you have got a real problem. If the float doesn't float then it isn't going to do its job.

If you are good at working with metal it is possible to fix it: cut it apart, pound out the dent then solder it back together. The float is probably copper and will solder really easily if you clean all the oxidation off first (make is shiny).

If you are not comfortable with your metal shop skills then start looking for a replacement carburetor.

Rod

e95clipse

Mar 28, 2007
alright well upon futher inspection of my floats it seems that one of the floats was cracked letting gas get in there and not letting them float........i sodderd the crack so it floats now.....but i can only get it to idel with the choke on and when i take it off whil riding it uaslly just dies and i can kick it over but doesnt idle....??? oh and the first start up of the bike i cant kick it over.....i have to jump it to get it running

Top Bottom