pyrofreak

Apr 9, 2003
I am looking at a 1982 KDX and i was wondering a few things about it. What are the troublespots? And what would be a decent price range on it? The plastic is a little bit banged up but i think that is all that is wrong with it. I was told it starts up on the first kick. I think it is a 250 seeing as the the 200s started production in '82. I was wondering if this would be a good bike for me. This will be my first bike. I am 5'7'', 180 lbs. (mostly muscle:-P)and a girl, but is this too much for me? I will only be trail and woods riding because thats all there is to ride where i live.

mcoker

Mar 18, 2003
I think it would be a fine bike, as long as it's in good shape and isn't going to break down on you all the time (seeing as it's pretty old). But I've got an '88 kdx 200 and it's really dependable, and the power is all there, but not too much for a beginner. They're really easy bikes to ride.
I wouldn't pay any more than $500 or so for it considering its age. Parts for it may be difficult to find, too.

pyrofreak

Apr 9, 2003
The asking price is $700 but i may be able to work the price down a little bit for a partial trade for car and taking into account that my sister's boyfreind's grandmother's grandson is selling it i think it may be his cousin or somehting but anyway i am sure i can get it for a more reasonable price. THANKS ALOT!!! I would be lost without DRN!!!
THX
~Jamie

dirt bike dave

Sponsoring Member
May 3, 2000
FWIW, there was an '82 KDX175.   I believe the '83 200 was improved over the 175.  If it is in good shape and running well, a KDX175 would make a fine first bike, IMO.   But for $700 you should be able to get a decent '83-'85 KDX200. 

Last edited:

mcoker

Mar 18, 2003
I think $700 is too much. I was considering selling my kdx lately, and I was looking to sell it for $750 or so... but if I was selling it to my mother's sister's husband's dog-sitter's neighbor's pool guy, I might give him a deal on it ;)

skipro3

Mod Ban
Dec 14, 2002
How mechanicly inclined areyou? Here are some things to check for or have someone who might help you, check for:
1. pull the plug and check it's condition. This can tell much about the engine.
2. Warm it up, then shut it off and do a compression check.
3. check for play in the steering head, the swing arm and all the pivot points on the suspension.
4. Check the condition of the tranny oil. Should not be milky, gummy, dark, etc.
5. Check the condition of the tires, checking and cracking, holds air, good tread wear left.
6. Check the brake pads for wear and the brake surfaces.
7. check wheel bearings.
8. Check for smooth clutch operation. NO grabbing or surging.
9. Check breaks for pulsing when applied. Indicates warping or uneven wear.
10. Check throttle. Twist it and release. It should snap back. (Nothing like that first ride and a stuck throttle to open you're pretty little peepers) :eek:
11. Drain and fill with fresh fuel and oil. Even before you test it to be sure your evaluation is accurate. Bad gas can make a good engine seem bad.
12. Check the chain and sprockets for wear and streach.
13. Check the spokes for tightness and the wheel for trueness.
14. Check the air filter for rips and tears as well as for proper serviceing.

Any of these or combination can run a deal on a used bike into the not worth it catagory very fast. Check to see what replacement parts would cost if any of the items are needing replacement. There is not much worse than having to push a bike out of the woods due to a break down.

How's bout it boys? Can anyone else think of things she can check for? Let's help a lady out.
By the way, there is a women's forum that you might do well checking out and posting your question there as well. Tell the ladies, SkiPro sent ya! :p

Last edited:

pyrofreak

Apr 9, 2003
I'm gonna get my buddy John to check it out and make sure its all good, like making sure all of the gears work and have him check it all over, especially the swing arm bearings i heard the bearing like being somewhat of a problem!!!. But i'm really gonna make sure its worth it because i got a job just to feed my dirt bike obbsession!!!! And getting up at 6am is not fun!!! It doesnt even feel like summer but i'm sure it WILL be worth it!!!!! THANK YOU for all the help!!!!! Its nice to see some considerate guys that are wiling ot help unlike any guys my age!!!! :-D no offense guys!

THX
~Jamie

pyrofreak

Apr 9, 2003
Originally posted by mcoker
I think $700 is too much. I was considering selling my kdx lately, and I was looking to sell it for $750 or so... but if I was selling it to my mother's sister's husband's dog-sitter's neighbor's pool guy, I might give him a deal on it ;)

The sad part is that i DO know my mother's sister's husband's dog-sitter's neighbor's pool guy!!!!!!! Yet another benifit from a small upper-middle class hick-town!!!!! :-P

MX175

~SPONSOR~
Aug 20, 2002
To verify the engine size, look around the bottom of the cylinder fins. There is almost always a size marked on the casting and usually it is not a 200 or a 250. Normally it is marked 198cc or 249cc. The swingarm bearings aren't a big deal to change and you can talk to people at PivotWorks in Iowa and they can set you up with a set for $50. Wheel bearings are also pretty easy to replace and not too expensive. There is always stuff on eBay, but you have to keep your eyes open. Good luck

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom