What chain are you all running

Joburble

Bring back the CR500
~SPONSOR~
Jul 20, 2009
Hey all, I am putting my 06 kdx 200 back together (apart for inspection and maintenance prior to my taking to the dirt on it for the first time) and my bike needs a new chain. I have always run 'o'ring chains on all my previous dirtbikes other than my YZ125s when I first started riding. I really like the 'o'ring for maintenance reasons, however it has dawned on me that the kdx does not have the power of my previous bikes and I am wondering if the 'o'ring will drag too much power from the 200. What chains are you guys running on your 200s? Standard, 'o'ring or 'x'ring?

Cheers.

julien_d

Oct 28, 2008
I run an RK standard HD chain. I'll probably try something else next time, I've had to adjust the RK after every ride pretty much. I prefer a good standard chain to an o-ring though, generally.

mideastrider

~SPONSOR~
Jul 8, 2006
I have run both non-oring and o-ring. I get more mileage out of the o-ring chain for sure. I can tell know difference under power from either chain. There is however a mountain that we ride at, when it gets late and time to call it a day sometimes we will coast to the truck from the top of the mountain. Its about 1.5 miles to the bottom and the non-oring is faster coasting than the o-ring. If your going to race and looking for every little edge you can find go non-o other wise go with the o-ring.

_JOE_

~SPONSOR~
May 10, 2007
I run a DID X-ring. It's got about a hundred hours on it and I've only adjusted once or twice. It's looking tired but still seems to be holding up well......

sr5bidder

Oct 27, 2008
currently have a renthal non-oringchain now, it came with the bike along with a renthal aluminum rear sprocket, I made the mistake of putting an rk HD chain from cycle gear on and it steched badly and quickly ruined my rear sprocket.

I bought a primary drive rear sprocket 48t , a primary drive non-Oring chain, (it has holes in the side plates) and a 14t front it did not seem to strech but the 14t was too much so now I am back to a 13t 48t with the renthal chain

I have the primary drive chain waiting till I get a new 50t rear.

I put the $160 oring chains on my street bike not the dirt bikes

I would stay away from the RK chains that cost $25 and get something better

jth

May 21, 2006
no more primary drive chain for me.

Attachments

• broke chain.jpg
    broke chain.jpg
    83 KB · Views: 364

sr5bidder

Oct 27, 2008
:yikes: was that chain rubbing on something or is it just the pic??

maybee I'll use the primary drive chain on my dirt chopper....I don't have the nice little holes with threads for the case saver on my KDX..only half holes ...from p.o

mudpack

Nov 13, 2008
sr5bidder said:
I bought a primary drive rear sprocket 48t , a primary drive non-Oring chain...I have the primary drive chain waiting till I get a new 50t rear.
You are using the term "primary drive" incorrectly.
The KDX has a gear primary drive. The only chain on the KDX is in the secondary drive. ;)

I buy non-Oring chain when replacing the chains on my dirt bikes. I don't have to lube it any more often than the O-ring chain, it is cheaper, absorbs less power, and lasts almost as long.
There are good reasons for using O-ring, however.

julien_d

Oct 28, 2008
mudpack said:
You are using the term "primary drive" incorrectly.
The KDX has a gear primary drive. The only chain on the KDX is in the secondary drive. ;)

I buy non-Oring chain when replacing the chains on my dirt bikes. I don't have to lube it any more often than the O-ring chain, it is cheaper, absorbs less power, and lasts almost as long.
There are good reasons for using O-ring, however.

Hmm. I never realized it was possible to use a brand name incorrectly.

http://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/p...d=36&webCatId=9&brandId=208&prodFamilyId=2085

I agree with Mud on the chain. I personally prefer non-oring just for the reasons he lists. I do agree, there are some benefits to an o-ring chain, but nothing that makes the switch worth it for me personally.....

reepicheep

Apr 3, 2009
I use a primary drive chain... big beefy triple wide thing, in an oil bath, no O-Ring needed. It has gone 30k miles so far without so much as stretching, in spite of the fact that I am putting down nearly 80 HP at the rear wheel.

(on my Buell ;) ).

Joburble

Bring back the CR500
~SPONSOR~
Jul 20, 2009
Unfortunately I am going to have to use an RK O-ring chain (with 2 hrs use) that I had lying around from a previous bike as I now don't really have the coin to spend on a new one (I had unexpected spending). However I will replace it with a non O-ring asap as I don't like giving power away for nothing, and coz most of you recommend it. I am pertty sure I will get an D.I.D HD as they are easily available in NZ, anyone had good/bad experiences with these?

julien_d

Oct 28, 2008
RK's nicer chains are quite nice. Their inexpensive ones are well... cheap. If you have a low use RK o-ring chain, I'd say use it until it's all used up. It'll probably turn out to be a very good chain for ya.

sr5bidder

Oct 27, 2008
julien_d said:
Hmm. I never realized it was possible to use a brand name incorrectly.

http://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/p...d=36&webCatId=9&brandId=208&prodFamilyId=2085

I agree with Mud on the chain. I personally prefer non-oring just for the reasons he lists. I do agree, there are some benefits to an o-ring chain, but nothing that makes the switch worth it for me personally.....

I suppose a better company name would be Final Drive Sprockets and Chains as some people are easily confused :laugh:

mudpack

Nov 13, 2008
julien_d said:
Hmm. I never realized it was possible to use a brand name incorrectly......
I see where we went wrong.
If the words "primary drive" had been capitalized, i.e. Primary Drive, I might have recognized them as the name of a brand. Thank you for setting me straight. :nod:

The DID brand of HD chain is a good value. I use it myself.
Most chain manufacturers make budget chain, standard chain, and even various grades of premium chain. As in all things, you get what you pay for; the cheap stuff usually wears far more rapidly, but costs a fraction of what the better stuff costs, too.
Take your pick..... :cool:

jth

May 21, 2006
sr5bidder
That chain and sprockets (Primary Drive brand) was brand new the beginning of the seasoned. The counter shaft sprocket was replaced again in Aug. with major rounded over teeth. The link in julien_d ‘s post #14 is the correct one.

There are several posts in the dirtrider forums of trouble with this brand (do a search) mine turned out OK, most did not.

2004 220, RB motor mods., Trials tire, 13X50 gearing

I’m not trying to put down this brand, maybe I just had a lemon. But here I share my experience and maybe save some engine cases, or someone getting hurt.

Joburble

Bring back the CR500
~SPONSOR~
Jul 20, 2009
bultaco4ever said:
What's the best method to clean and care for an O ring chain?
Hey get your own thread. Naa just kidding.
I wash mine when I wash the bike and if all the dirt doesn't come off I use an old toothbrush to help it along. When its dry I CRC or WD40 it. Then when I go riding, if I'm riding in mud or dry conditions I use chain lube, but if riding in sand I silicone the chain with silicone spray, coz I find that if I use chain lube the sand sticks to it and grinds it into the chain and sprockets something bad.

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
I use a D.I.D. HD chain, been plenty happy with it.

For chain lube it's hard to beat http://www.progoldmfr.com/products/prolink.html this stuff keeps the chain from getting packed with all sorts of grime because it's a dry lube that I spray on before I put the bike back in the trailer after a bath.

Top Bottom