Sep 25, 2009
Hello,

Looking at a new dirt bike, Still new to the sport but I just checked out a 1982 XR200 Dirt bike.

Wants $500 cash for it, I went and checked it out. Sounds very nice and starts up easily.

Is that price to much for $500?

Please let me know soon.

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
Whether or not it's a good value is totally dependent on the overall condition of the bike. Most $500 bikes are that cheap for a good reason.

jb_dallas

Feb 17, 2009
Infidel

Let me tell you a story about my 1982 RM 125. I found the bike on Ebay listed for $500. It didnt sell, so I contacted the guy and he took my $400 offer. How could I go wrong with a $400 bike, right? I figured I could spend a few hundred getting it into shape and have a solid bike for around $600-$700. Very long story short (new top end, new crank seals, new clutch, etc), I ended up putting $1100 into that bike and sold it for $700. I was very happy to get $700, as there was only one guy interested. I learned alot from the RM. You may have better luck than myself, but dont think you can buy a $500 bike and just ride it for years. Plan on spending at least a few hundred getting the bike safe and reliable...maybe more. It may be easier to save your money and buy a $1000-$1200 bike and take somebody who knows what they are looking for. Plan on spending money on that $1000 bike for the same reasons.

Papakeith

COTT Champ Emeritus
Damn Yankees
Aug 31, 2000
RI
I've got an 86 XR200, here's my take:
There are two bad bits that jumped out at me when I first rode it. The footpegs are a weak point, carry some extra bolts into the woods with you. The drum brakes are iffy when dry, and non existent when wet. Other than that it has been a blast to play around on.

If it's an old beater bike, the cam has probably worn away at the bearing surface in the head, the cam chain, and sprockets are probably beyond limits. The drums for the brakes are probably beyond spec and won't stop as well as they should.

I got mine in a couple of different boxes for free out of someones garage. That "free" bike got valves, seats, piston/rings, cylinder honed, cam chain, sprockets, tensioners, sliders, clutch plates, all bushings and seals replaced in the front and rear suspension, bearings front and rear wheel hubs, tubes, tires, chain and sprocket, control cables, grips, bars, swing arm bushings and bearings, seat cover, filter. That's what I can remember anyway. I wouldn't be surprised if there were a few more items that needed to be added to the list. It was a project, but I was looking for a project at that time, so it was OK.

If that 500$ gets you a pristine, well cared for bike then it might be a good deal. A better deal IMHO would be to save your pennies and get something a decade or two newer.

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom