wasmeneh

Apr 10, 2007
I used to Race MX in the late 60's and early 70's had a 125cc Penton then went to a 1971 TM 250 Suzuki. Currently I have a 1972 Kawa Mach III, 500cc Triple for the street and am looking at older MX bikes.

A guy near me has a 1982 YZ 250 for sale. The pictures I've seen show it to be all original and in very good condition with a few normal scrapes on the plastics. The seller advises that the engine has never been apart and the bike was used only as a Trail bike. He states that it still runs great but that it is hard to start. He states that the only thing it needs is fork seals.

Well what in particular should I be looking for on this bike? I've never had a water cooled 2 stroke... any specific issues with this model? Are there any hard to find parts?

Is this 1st year mono-water cooled bike a collector I would like to ride it some....

Any advice (well most any :laugh: ) is welcome

Thanks in advance

Mike

deathpunk

Oct 3, 2006
Mike
I would avoid the 82 YZ250 unless it is for restoration and collection purpose. The odd 1 year wonder rear suspension design, and the awful radiator placement behind the front numberplate make for a strange handling beast that like to leak hot coolant in the steering stem....

The 1983 - 1985 generation YZ250 are much better bikes.

I *love* old YZs, but the 82s are not a high water mark for the marque....YZ60 and YZ100 aside.

Yz250JdT250

Apr 26, 2004
Hey, i think the 1981 yz125 was the first watercooled. I had a 1982 yz250 though. Didnt have any issues with the coolant leaking in the steam, but then again i didnt ride it much, took it out once and the old suspension was so scary :whoa: , the forks definately were not up to their specs. I love the bike though, unfortunately i parted it out and got a 1998 yz125. But some guy on a vintage yz forum said that a good setup is the 1981 yz250 chassis and the 1982 yz250 motor. Needed are custom motor mounts and a modified exhaust, and quite possibly a few other mods are needed ( i dont remember the details). I would buy another one just to have though :) , i love bikes, including the vintages.

Top Bottom