500_boy

Jan 3, 2004
Hey there, I am in the process of restoring my 1985 CR500, I have polished every bolt, nut, and washer on the bike, I have cleaned out everything, the engine is on its way to getting the bottom end rebuilt. I plan on replacing every bearing on the bike because the guy before me for example of his maintenence, the swingarm pivot arm, has three bearings, with three grease nipples each, well, he stripped two of them when he was putting them back in (why they were out I have no idea) but anyways, he just left the one hole open, and the other grease nipple hole, he filled with silicone, so well, the bearings have seen better days :bang: . Anyways my question is what parts are a must for replacing on a 20 year old bike while it is all apart like this?

BigSwole

Jun 8, 2004
if you have the money,might as well do it all.I just bought an 89 CR500 and the guys was 62 years old,never ran the bike very much at all.I was real worried seals and stuff would be bad from sitting so long,but everything is fine.in fact I went by the honda shop today to look for a 50 for my son and a few guys swarmed my pickup and said they had never seen a bike of this age look so good.sorry for rambling but I say replace what you can,you will be happy you did.

chaostheory

Jun 4, 2004
I purchased an 85 cr500 about a month ago and so far the motor and tranny is the only thing sound about the bike, the subframe has been broken and rewelded,the rear right axle nut has been ground half into and the plastic is horrible, the kickstarter arm has been ground to about an inch shorter, the entire exhaust needs to be eplaced as well.
at this point in thinking of updating the plastics(91-2000) and changing the rear wheel to disk brakes, and adding inverted forks, and replacing whatever else is needed.
but all in all its a beast and well worth keeping up,

500_boy

Jan 3, 2004
Can you update the plastics to 90-00 because I cant find ANY plastics for the 85 CR. Well just about all parts in general but plastics is the main thing I want to replace on it. Is there a huge difference in the newer plastics than the older ones.

About the pics, I think you can just update them into DRN. Not really sure how though?

BigSwole

Jun 8, 2004
yea bro,from what I have seen the plastics are quiet different.I have seen a few for sale on **** as of late for an 85.infact I think there is some on there now.about the pics,says I dont have access for it?? dunno

Top Bottom