1988 kdx 200 c3 starting probs from cold,flooding.

vwboomerdog

Aug 18, 2002
hi, my '88' kdx 200 c3 is a complete git to start from cold,without giving it any throttle at all it floods,i have to disconnect the fuel line from the tank, take the plug out,kick it over a few times ,let the fuel evapourate , put the plug back in ,then the bike will start with the fuel line still unattached with no choke, once started it is fine ,reconnect the fuel line & it will start first time ,every time.
is this a needle or float problem ? ,or both??, help guys!! ,my head is hurting because i'm scratching it so much!!!!!!!!.

MX175

~SPONSOR~
Aug 20, 2002
I think I would start with changing the needle and seat. Note that this is the needle that allows gas to enter the float bowl not the needle in the center of the slide with a clip and 5 notches on it at the top. The needle-seat can wear and even with the gas turned off, your carb gets over-filled with gas. If you want to verify if it is the needle-seat, the next time you are done riding, disconnect the fuel line at the carb, and reconnect it the next time you ride. It should be much easier to start.

If you have a float level problem, the bike may still be hard to start. But it is very difficult for something to change the float level. It is more common for the needle-seat to wear.

Can you tell me what jets and settings you are using on your carb? I'm at 48-pilot, 145-main, needle in the #2 notch (from the top), and airscrew about 1/2 turn out.

Good luck,

Al Bouman

Jan 1, 2003
I would tend to agree with MX175. The carb on my '88 was extremely worn. The best fix I decided on was getting a newer carb. The one I bought was from a '91 and it gave me an immediate remedy to several problems I was having, breaking needles, run on after the throttle was closed, hard starting.

If you can find a carb in good shape you won't be disappointed.

vwboomerdog

Aug 18, 2002
thank's for the input guys, jason, -yes the fuel is turned off at the tap after riding,won't be able to pull it apart yet, as i'm flying out to the states for 3 weeks, hopfully be able to get it sorted when i return -thank's all...vwboomerdog----doing it dirty in the u.k.

donh

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Aug 20, 2002
Al, I'm looking for a new carb to put on to my '88 KDX. Just wondering if the '91 carb you put on is giving you any problems. Was it from a KDX 200, or a 250? Did it just bolt right on without any problems?

If anyone else has experience with swapping carbs your help would be appreciated.

Al Bouman

Jan 1, 2003
Donh, I was told the carb was off a '91 KDX200, but I never verified it.

I was lucky enough to find a carb that came with the throttle assembly and cable. So all I had to do is hook it up and tweak the idle a bit. The jetting seems to be close enough that I haven't messed with that yet.

A couple of drawbacks, the idle and choke are on the opposite side as the '88 carb. The choke is a little harder to get to, but not impossible. The idle is the bigger problem. You have to pull the air box to make any adjustments, once you have it set though, not a big deal.

I was very happy with the change. It made a huge difference in performance.

Good luck in your search.

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom