mg89

Mar 11, 2006
My dad and I are going to go to Spokane on sunday to look at a 1988 toyota Supra turbo, the starter in it is burnt, but he just bought a new starter but never installed it yet. there is over 100,000 miles on the transmission and areound 5,000 miles on the 4 year old engine. Dent on both driver and passenger's side, and the passenger seat has a tear in it. He wants $1750 obo. My dad said it is a good car, but I want to get a third opinion on this before I drive 350 miles. Anyone here own a toyota supra or owned one in the past.

Here's the link:
http://spokane.craigslist.org/car/217829825.html

Thanks

jamrock

Apr 8, 2006
yes these are good cars ( as long as the turbo is not messed up) it happend to my brother. he bought a supra for a good price then a week later the turbo went out. if i remember right they do cost a lot of money.but good luck post back to see how it goes.

RMZRIDER

Aug 3, 2006
a turbo blowing a bearing happens just from being used just like any other cars turbo, when you go to check it out, see how much play the bearing has, thats how you check how good it is

scottiedawg66

Sep 26, 2006
i have owned a 87 turbo supra for 4 years now, and consider myself an expert on them, rebuilt the engine, swapped in a 1jzgte (crazy JDM engine 280 hp stock twin turbo). The 7mgte engine is prone to blowng head gaskets, make sure that the head gasket isnt blown before u drive it. Furthermore I sugguest replacing the head gasket with a metal one and ARP head studs. This is required to make these care reliable. supraforums is a good place to get more questions answered. They are great cars, but the 7mgte is not a reliable engine. Look at the 1jz section if you want to make it a real beast.

~scott

nikskx

Sep 6, 2006
friend of mine has a 87 supra. upgraded turbo custom built intake big intercooler custom rad. that MFer RIPS! he ran 119.xxmph in the quarter mile and went 12.4 i believe. Real fun cars, if you swap the turbo to a bigger one upgrade fuel system you will have so much fun with the 7m, He's gone through a couple motors but its because he got detonation, and last motor cracked the piston on start up.
I'd say go for it, the 5speeds are the way to go in those cars. Autos are junk.

Top Bottom