1994 RM 250 jetting issues in NJ temp 40*

Bigpeat

Dec 30, 2002
Posted - Dec 28 2002 : 5:37:05 PM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

For the first time in about 2 months I fired up my RM 250. The bike was out on a major overhaul and was completely disassembled from top to bottom. Engine work that was done included a carb breakdown and clean, new seals in the case after they were split, a new top end (piston, rings, and bearings) and a new clutch. Silencer was repacked and about $1000 of other work.
Since the cases were split, it was suggested by this forum to add some 2-stroke oil back into the case. I added about 20cc of oil through the intake while piston was at TDC. A teaspoon of oil was added through the spark plug hole and the piston worked up and down a few times just to coat the cylinder walls. A new Br9ES plug was also installed.
I live in New Jersey and the temperature was 33*, 70% humidity, barometer at 29.97, southwesterly winds at 4 Mph Anyway, the motor fired up on the fourth kick. Hmm, not bad so far. The air screw was initially set at 1 1/2 turns and the choke was on. It puffed a bit of smoke but I thought it must be from the 20cc I added. A couple a blips just to keep the motor at idle. After about 45 seconds to a minute I pressed the plunger on the idle know to turn off the choke. BUUUAAAHHH. The motor died. Choke back on, kicked it over and gave very slight throttle to keep it from stalling as I turned off the choke. As soon as I released the throttle, it died again. Fired up again and turned up the idle knob. A bit more smoke was now coming out of the pipe. To keep the motor from stalling, the idle knob was turned up almost all the way to the point where the choke was almost fully on again. I repeated the process and now just slight throttle to keep the motor from stalling and waited till the jug was warm to the touch. (About 3-4 minutes) Let the motor stall, and end of first break-in cycle.
The jetting was not altered since the last time in ran in the late summer. Stock needle jet 3rd clip, main jet @175 and stock slow jet @52. Air screw was 1 1/2 and fuel was mixed with BelRay HR1 @ 32:1.
(In the summer I ran 40:1 and it Kicked A**. I was told to go back to 32:1 and look at the jetting.)
Not sure why it won’t idle without the idle knob turned almost all the way up (..or is it out? well, to the point that the choke is back on) Hopefully after break-in, the smoke will die down a bit after I am able to keep on the gas.
Is this all normal for given temperature and break-in after new piston?

Here is my stock and current jetting;

STOCK SETTINGS:
Jet needle- R1469M
Clip position- 3rd.
Main Jet- 180
Slow Jet- 52

MY SETTINGS:
Jet needle - STOCK
Clip position - STOCK
Main Jet - 175
Slow Jet - STOCK

Top Bottom