CerkMX

Oct 8, 2006
By the end of a full day of trail/MX riding yesterday I started having some difficulty downshifting. The problem was most pronounced in shifting down from 3rd and 2nd (or maybe those were just the most common downshifts). Anyways, it felt like it would if I were already in 1st...just no gears left. Sometimes it would finally shift, sometimes I'd have to shift up first then go back down, sometimes it would work just fine. Thoughts??

Also, I"m thinking I may need a clutch kit. The clutch doesn't completely disengage even with the clutch lever pulled all the way in. I adjusted the lever to have as little play as possible, but if I have the bike in neutral and click in to 1st without giving it some rev it'll just poop out, being that it's not completely disengaged. It's a real pain in the trails at low speed as I've got to constantly keep the revs up.

I've only had the bike a short while and am working through various needed replacements and adjustments.

Thanks in advance.

darringer

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 2, 2001
Two things come to mind. First, the clutches on RMs this age usually have notched clutch baskets. My 99 was the same way. The clutch would get very grabby. A possible easier fix is to change the trans oil. Dirty oil can cause shifting problems that you describe.

2strokerfun

May 19, 2006
Are you noticing any slipping at high speeds?? I usually start to get some high speed slipping about the same time it gets real grabby going in to first from a dead stop. If you have used all the adjustment and it is doing this, time for new clutch plates at a minimum. Drain oil. Put new clutch plates in. Switch to steel friction plates if you have aluminum while you're at it. Re-fill oil. I have forgot to do this last part before. I don't recommend it. Eyeball your clutch basket fingers while your at it. If they are notched, you might be able to smooth them with a file. If not, might be time for a new clutch basket.

CerkMX

Oct 8, 2006
Good stuff fellas...

...I did the normal post ride cleaning/maintenence yesterday, swapped the trans oil and it was low!!...not sure how this happened as I changed it 2 rides prior to this one and filled it to spec. I refilled yesterday so we'll see how the shifting goes this weekend...I may have a seal leak or something somewhere, although i haven't noticed any oil puddles around the bike in the garage...if it's low again the next time I change the oil I'll look deeper into it.

2stroker, to answer your question, I get some sleeping at high revs as opposed to high speed...occasionally when i really get on the throttle it'll slip partially or just fall into neutral...of course, maybe I've got to be more assertive in my shifts, sometimes this will happen on my street bike as well because of half-hearted shift effort with my foot.

I'm off again this weeken, I'll let you know how it turns out.

I'm getting ready to order up a clutch kit...thanks for the help!

Top Bottom