1997 RMX 250. What good kind of oil to use? (Crankcase oil).

Hilts

Oct 26, 2008
I have a Suzuki 1997 RMX 250, I was wondering what kind of oil would be good to put in it. Also I was wondering if Parts off of a 1997 RM 250, such as rear fender, and side panels from acerbis would fit on the RMX 250?
Thx :laugh:
jon-

High Lord Gomer

Poked with Sticks
Sep 26, 1999
I would run ATF Type-F transmission fluid in the transmission and change it every couple of hours.

No sure about the 97, but some years the RMX was a year or so behind the RM, so the plastic might fit from a 96 RM.

Great bike, BTW!

julien_d

Oct 28, 2008
RMX = great bike, yes.

As far as oil, boy have you just opened a can of worms.

ATF type f
10w 40 without friction modifiers (make sure the label does not say "energy conserving"
High end synthetic 2 stroke tranny oil
90w gear oil

the list goes on. Use whatever you like. I've been running type F and like it. The clutch action and shifting feels smoother. Whatever you do, don't put it in the crankcase though!!! 2 strokes have a sealed crankcase and get lube from the premix. You need the oil for the tranny, which is sealed from the crankcase.

J.

placelast

Apr 11, 2001
I third ATF Type F, if you mean transmission oil. You can get the cheap, no-name stuff from Pep Boys and change it every few rides or whatever. Works just as good if not better than some dedicated oils.

Acerbis is not your source for plastic - rather, UFO is. Use 1989-1992 RM250 side panels, radiator scoops, and front and rear fenders - add their black, drop-down tail light if you want one and to have a Euro/enduro look.

placelast

Apr 11, 2001
Hilts said:
Would Side Panels from a 1993 RM 250 Fit?

No. Unless you want to change all of the following: seat, rear fender, gas tank, radiator scoops, and subframe tabs; all or nothing, not mix-and-match, 'cuz they don't.

Top Bottom