oldnovice

Oct 20, 2000
I have a chance to get a1999 EXC 250 for a pretty good price. I want to do both hare scrambles and mx. I'm a mid to back-packer at both types. Will the bike work pretty good under both applications?Maybe my real question is there a big difference between an exc and an mxc? anything to watch out for on 1999 KTM's? Thanks for any input.

HiG4s

~SPONSOR~
Mar 7, 2001
overall the bike has lower 1st gear and higher top gear than the SX or MXC, neither of which should effect you in an MX and might even be better in HS racing. The MXC has the same heavier flywheel that the EXC has so there really shouldn't be a difference in the engine preformance provided you replace the restrictive stock EXC muffler/arrestor when MX racing. The EXC suspension is softer, I'm not sure how different it is, whether it can be adjusted to be decent on an MX track or not.

Monkey Butt

Jun 1, 2000
I agree with HiG4s, except for....

From what I have been told by various people the exc and the mxc have the same suspension from the valving on up. It is possible that this has changed in the last year but not that I know of.

I have a KTM 200exc and from how you describe your riding abilities and interests, I would think the 250exc would be a great bike for you. I race harescrambles occassionally as well as venture out on the track from time to time. I am sure that an SX would be a noticable improvement for a hard charging MXer, but the exc is very capable of doing everything I ask it to do in all situations. I don't catch huge air, but I do doubles when the mood catches me and it handles it quite well. The suspension and motor works great in the woods as well.

Neal

jeb

Jul 21, 1999
I'm not MXer but the little I did do was not much problem on my 99 250EXC. However, if you're into big air, this is NOT the bike for you. You'd need to have both ends stiffened quite a bit, at least. It's a great HS bike, though.

MB is right, the MXC and EXC share the same suspension. An MXC is an EXC without the lights and with an SX tranny.

motojunkie

Apr 25, 2001
I tried MX with a 98 250 EXC, it didn't work too well. Here's why -

1. You will have to have the suspension valved and sprung.
2. The power is a little soft for MX.
3. The wide ratio transmission always seems to be "wrong" - too high in third, too low in second.

If you can get past these things, it'll work great. After all it does have the same chassis as the SX model.

CR Swade

~SPONSOR~
Jan 18, 2001
Just ride it, you'll be fine. In fact it is one of the best multi-purpose bikes around. If you were a expert or pro (or tackling a SX) you would want to stiffen both ends , but for novice or beginner duty it will do fine.

Heck some of my fondest memories of my 97 250EXC were taking it to the MX track after a prior weekend of enduro and pulling a holeshot, taking home a trophy all with my headlight on. Keep in mind, everybody said that the 97 was the perfect enduro bike, but couldn't hack it on a MX track. I guess me and my ol'enduro bike didn't get that message. Have fun

IDkTm

Jul 12, 2000
I have a friend who rides the same bike pretty successfully at MX. He finished I think third in his class at Washougal one year on it and races most of his MX in the intermediate class around here. It can be done. I've used my 2000 250 EXC for a little MX and at the speeds I ride it is really great. I have to do a little bit of fiddling with the suspension adjusters but overall it works well for me.

marcusgunby

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 9, 2000
IMO most jap/ktms come with too stiff a set up for mx even for some pros-gordon crockards GP 250 bike has softer settings than std and he came 3rd in the world champs.I would say the exc would be better suited to a novice than most mx bikes.

Anssi

May 20, 2001
I see people ride mx all the time on EXC's around here and they seem to do just fine.

Well, Juha Salminen seems to do a bit better than "just fine"(he usually finishes the club races he enters about a lap clear of the field(and two from me) that is not really slow) but I'm not entirely sure his bikes are exactly stock.

B

biglou

oldnovice-I say go for it. I just raced my MXC in an MX yesterday. It's not the first time, either. For someone of my skill level (2nd year riding, advanced beginner) I think it does just fine. The close-ratio tranny of the MXC suits the MX track very well, but I have friends that ride and race their EXC's for MX also. Good luck!:)

oldnovice

Oct 20, 2000
Thanks for everyone's responses. I took your advice , the little woman agreed and I picked up the 99 250 EXC tonight! Can't wait to get some time on it. Thanks again.

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom